What you’ll be doing…
Verizon is looking for a talented, dynamic, customer-centric contracts and sales attorney to be responsible for reviewing, drafting, and negotiating business-to-business service agreements, including HIPAA business associate agreements, for large and sophisticated multinational commercial accounts. The attorney will also serve as group subject matter expert for compliance with HIPAA and other rules and regulations relating to the protection of electronic protected health information. We are looking for a stellar attorney with initiative and drive who can handle a high volume of varied and complex legal work. The attorney must have experience with HIPAA and be able to understand the effects of HIPAA, as well as other laws and regulations, on our business and provide strategic legal advice to enable revenue generation while creatively balancing commercial and compliance risks.
The attorney is expected to fulfill a variety of functions including:
- Counseling enterprise sales clients concerning legal and business matters arising from service agreements among Verizon and its customers.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating numerous complex contracts simultaneously, including service agreements, non-standard nondisclosure agreements, statements of work, and ancillary legal documents.
- Evaluating whether Verizon’s provision of services to particular customers will necessitate a HIPAA business associate agreement and reviewing, drafting, and negotiating business associate agreements.
- Ensuring that all transactions are legally sound and comply with all Verizon policies and practices and all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Collaborating with colleagues in EMEA, Asia Pacific, and Latin America regions to develop and negotiate global agreements.
- Supporting the Legal Department with ongoing and special initiatives, including process improvement, template development, and training initiatives.
- Maintaining excellent working relationships with Sales and Finance clients, the HIPAA Security Officer, Verizon legal colleagues, other internal stakeholders, and customers, and ensuring that the clients’ legal needs are fully satisfied.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- JD degree and six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Bar membership and required licenses.
- Experience counseling clients with respect to compliance with HIPAA and other rules and regulations relating to the protection of electronic health information.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Five or more years of experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial service agreements, including significant experience with HIPAA business associate agreements, in a similar work environment (e.g., law firm, government, or fast paced in-house corporate legal department).
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple internal and external groups simultaneously to quickly achieve common goals.
- Well-honed project management and organizational skills needed to closely manage multiple transactions and complex projects and process a high volume of work in a timely and accurate manner with a high attention to detail.
- The ability to interact comfortably with personnel in various roles and levels across the organization, and enforcing legal requirements without alienating clients.
- The ability to solve complex problems creatively.
- Demonstrated initiative to develop, lead, and implement special projects.
- Skill in Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel) and Google’s G Suite (e.g., Docs, Sheets, Mail).
- The ability to learn and work in Verizon contracting and workflow reporting systems.