International, public company seeks an experienced benefits attorney to provide legal advice in the design, administration, and management of the company’s domestic and international employee benefits programs and manage legal matters concerning the company’s retirement plans.
Location: Westlake, Ohio or remote.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing, advising, counseling, and amending all defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, stock bonus plans, health and welfare plans, trust agreements, summary plan descriptions, nonqualified executive compensation plans, and severance plans for both union and nonunion workforce, all officers, and all executives
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and international laws governing benefits practices
- Conduct and drive due diligence on employee benefits issues for all merger and acquisitions
- Build and maintain relationships with payroll, HR, Finance, and third-party administrators
- Provide legal counsel to the Named Fiduciary Committee, each Named Fiduciary Member, Plan Administrator, and the ERISA plans;
- Provide annual fiduciary training to retirement and welfare committees
- Attend all retirement and welfare committee meetings, serve as secretary during those meetings.
- Draft all health and welfare ERISA plan documents for the active union and nonunion workforce and the retiree groups, including drafting master health plan documents, retiree health plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and summaries of material modifications, major medical, prescription drug, vision care and dental plans, life insurance, long-term disability, and flexible spending accounts;
Education and Experience Requirements
- J.D., active license in any state
- 5-10 years of experience at a large law firm and/or in-house work in benefits specialty, including ERISA fiduciary matters, benefits advice in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills, especially with executive management
- Sensitivity to confidential employee issues
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be self-motivated and a team player
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Advanced multi-tasking skills
Travel requirements, including percentage and whether or not it will be domestic and/or international.
- Travel to Westlake at least once per quarter required to attend benefits and retirement committee meetings. Otherwise, minimal travel.
- May occasionally require international travel.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, marital status, veteran status or any other reason prohibited by law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.