The Vistaprint legal team is looking for an entrepreneurial, practical privacy attorney to join our team as an Associate Counsel, Privacy & E-Commerce. In this position, you will play a critical role in advising colleagues in virtually every function as Vistaprint continues to expand its products and services and its technical and data infrastructure. We are looking for a highly motivated colleague to join a global team at a growing, data-driven e-commerce company. As with any good in-house role, you may be called on to work on issues outside of your core area of expertise and grow with the needs of the company.
This position reports to the VP, Associate General Counsel, Privacy & E-commerce/Data Protection Officer.
As Senior Associate Counsel, you will be expected to:
- Accelerate the company’s data strategy in compliance with legal requirements and best practices.
- Partner with the marketing, analytics, technology, and customer care teams to ensure customer data and customer rights are protected while delivering amazing products and services that help small businesses achieve their dreams.
- Work closely with the HR, Benefits and HRIS teams to ensure employee data is secure and employee rights are protected.
- Partner with the security team to drive an effective, risk-based data security program and maintain a world-class incident response capability.
- Find and implement creative ways to continuously improve the company culture around data protection.
- Advise the marketing and analytics team on risks and opportunities in a variety of areas, including online behavioral advertising, customer segmentation, and email marketing.
- Specific projects you will work on include:
- Driving key components of our CCPA compliance strategy;
- Significantly accelerating our data protection for engineers training program;
- Systematically improving our vendor management program in collaboration with the security team; and
- Contributing to guidelines and guardrails for internal data analytics initiatives.
Qualifications & Skills
- 3+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm with strong background in privacy and data protection. International experience and prior work with e-commerce companies is a clear plus.
- Sound and balanced legal judgment and business awareness, with an appropriate understanding of the need to pragmatically assess risk.
- An outstanding collaborator who can motivate and lead teams to outstanding performance and results.
- The ability to deeply understand Vistaprint’s business operations and strategy and apply that understanding to proactively manage legal and commercial risks.
- The ability to clearly and concisely explain complex legal issues and requirements to a non-legal audience.
- Comfort in a fluid, decentralized work environment with a focus on agile software development.
- A passionate self-starter with a “get things done” approach, but always consistent with the highest professional and ethical standards.