The Executive Director and Counsel will serve as the lead global business attorney supporting Alexion’s VISion organization. The position will report to the EVP, General Counsel, and serve as a member of the Global Legal Leadership Team and contribute to the development of the global legal strategy. The Executive Director, VISion provides legal guidance and support in a highly collaborative environment to Alexion’s VISion team. The position will provide strategic legal partnership on issues relating to value access and pricing, and commercial assessment and launch plans. The Executive Director role includes a pro-active, global and business focused approach to managing legal issues around portfolio management at all stages of commercialization. This includes commercial launches of new products and indications, value access and pricing, and competitor activity.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as a key influencer and an active member of the VISion Leadership team. Closely interacts with Commercial business leaders, to understand business goals and provide them with appropriate legal risk analysis and legal advice enabling them to achieve their goals while protecting the company’s reputation and operations.
- Acts as a business partner to the Global Commercial organization as it relates to the development of a sustainable and forward-looking Commercial strategy. Advises on a range of global commercial legal issues including value access and pricing, life-cycle management and competitor activity.
- Partners with the Pricing teams to set pricing strategy for all commercialized products and indications. Partners with U.S. and international lawyers to set individual country pricing for all commercial products. Designs and drives implementation of legal strategy in relation to value access and pricing standards, policies and procedures for Alexion globally. Cascades and ensures consistent adaptation and implementation of legal methods, risks and practices in all international locations.
- Advises Commercial leadership on appropriate strategies to engage and conduct business in a competitive environment. Continuously involved in providing strong legal guidance and exercising judgment on strategic initiatives, new and emerging markets entry strategy, product and indication launch and business development.
- Leads, trains and develops legal and other staff to ensure that activities are conducted accurately, ethically and consistently among all teams. Leads cross-functional workstreams and influences outside areas of his/her authority to drive projects through to completion.
- Represents the legal organization on various internal committees, including but not limited to the Executive Leadership Team, Commercial Leadership Team, and the Brand Counsel.
- Qualified attorney, will have a strong academic background with at least 12 years of relevant legal experience, as an in-house legal counsel in in the pharmaceutical, life sciences or medical devices industries
- Undergraduate and law degrees from leading universities required.
- Additional requirements include:
- Slid legal expertise within the US as well as global commercial organizations, with specific expertise in pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement matters on a global basis
- Demnstrated expertise counseling all commercial aspects and activities for a global therapeutic area or product
- Excellent communication, consultation and influencing skills, with the ability to work and collaborate cross-functionally as well as to influence and tailor messaging for various audiences and stakeholders.
- Ability to operate in a matrixed, multi-cultural environment.
- Significant experience as in-house legal counsel or from a law firm with an established life sciences practice
- Experience working within a global organization and a demonstrated global mind-set
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills
- Agility in dealing with complexity
Boston, MA, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts’ Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion’s aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.