The position is the lead transactions counsel for certain US and international markets, and corporation departments. This position assists management within assigned markets and departments on all transactional matters, including drafting, negotiating, and reviewing commercial contracts, and providing legal advice and support for business transactions. This position manages and oversees work assigned to outside counsel.
- Drafting, negotiating, reviewing, and executing commercial contracts for assigned markets and corporate departments
- Providing legal advice and support for business transactions within assigned markets and corporate departments
- Participating in cross-functional teams to support development and execution of corporate initiatives and strategy
- Overseeing and managing work assigned to outside counsel and reviewing outside counsel bills
- Provide legal support to the treasury and finance functions. Evaluate, advise on and support a wide variety of financing transactions, including debt offerings, bank financings, share repurchases and other financing transactions.
- Provide legal support for domestic and foreign subsidiary management and legal entity restructuring.
- Provide legal support to the tax function for transactions relating to the Company’s strategic tax planning.
Education: Law Degree Required
Experience: 5+ years of practicing legal transactions in a law firm and/or corporate law department setting
Skills: Must be licensed to practice law in one of more U.S jurisdictions (preferable including Texas). Requires strong leadership and communication skills. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and complete in a timely manner. Ability to engage stakeholders. Strong client service orientation.
Most important decisions made fully independently:
- Legal decisions regarding transactions
- Application of legal and corporate policies
- Selection of outside counsel
- Approval of outside counsel budget and billing
Most important decisions made with review and approval of other individuals or supervisors:
- Decisions requiting diversion from policy
- Business decisions and other non-legal decisions requiting input and approval of key stakeholders
Must provide effective legal advice and support and strategic direction with respect to transactions. Must be able to identify issues and involve and collaborate with key stakeholders to develop effective solutions.
Other Skills Needed:
• Strong work ethic, well-developed organizational skills, and ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision
• Profound understanding of client needs and expectations
• Ability to anticipate and proactively address issues impacting the client
• Flexibility and ability to timely and efficiently handle a large number of projects simultaneously
• Ability to communicate effectively and command credibility within all levels of the organization
• Collaborative approach to problem-solving, including ability to engage with and leverage ideas and input from a diverse set of key stakeholders
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.