DoITT provides for the sustained, efficient and effective delivery of IT services, infrastructure and telecommunications to enhance service delivery to New York City’s residents, businesses, employees and visitors. As the City’s technology leader, DoITT is responsible for maintaining the foundational IT infrastructure and systems that touch every aspect of City life from public safety to human services, from education to economic development crossing the full spectrum of governmental operations.
The Office of the General Counsel seeks a motivated and highly capable attorney to join its Telecommunications Unit to give legal counsel to the City team trying to bring affordable, high-speed broadband to all New Yorkers and to draft and negotiate documents franchise agreements with companies using the City’s rights-of-way to provide telecommunications services.
What You Will Do
The successful candidate will serve as an Assistant General Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel. Working under the supervision of Senior Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel’ responsibilities will include:
• Coordinate and lead franchise negotiations with prospective franchisees and licensees;
• Draft franchises or franchise requests-for-proposals; and franchise enforcement and administration letters;
• Provide legal advice to agency personnel and members of the Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer on the City’s broadband initiatives;
• Research trends in telecommunications law to gain an understanding of planned programs and projects in order to formulate the franchise objectives;
• Review and revise draft solicitation documents;
• Review and revise draft advocacy submissions to the New York State Public Service Commission and to the Federal Communications Commission;
• Consult personnel of the City’ s Law Department or the Mayor’ s Legislative Offices, and the FCRC, as warranted;
• Maintain productive and amicable relationships with franchisees and prospective franchisees; and
• Handle special projects and initiatives as assigned.
2. One year of satisfactory United States legal experience subsequent to admission to any state bar; or
3. Six months of satisfactory service as an Agency Attorney Interne (30086).
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment.
In addition to meeting the minimum Qualification Requirements:
To be assigned to Assignment Level (AL) II, candidates must have one year of experience at Assignment Level I or two years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment. To be assigned to AL III candidates must have two years of experience in Assignment Levels I and/or II or three years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment.
• Knowledge of real estate, internet, transactional, regulatory and/or contracting law principles;
• Experience negotiating and drafting real estate and telecommunications contracts;
• Demonstrated interest in public service, government, broadband, or telecommunications;
• Knowledge of City goals and processes with regard to telecommunications.
For all other applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs/search and search for Job ID #394049
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT APPROVAL
The Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications and the City of New York are equal opportunity employers.
DoITT participates in E-Verify