The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel to be located at the Janssen Research & Development campus in South San Francisco, CA. The position reports to an Assistant General Counsel – Patents.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science — bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
As a Senior Patent Counsel, you will:
- Primarily support the pharmaceutical sector of Johnson & Johnson, and more specifically, the Infectious Disease and Vaccines business of the Janssen operating companies.
- Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution, freedom-to operate analysis, rendering opinions, managing outside counsel, drafting and negotiating license and research collaboration agreements, due diligence support for business development and client counseling.
- Regularly make presentations and interact with and provide patent-related advice to the business.
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in a pharmaceutical-related science is required; an Advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school, admitted to the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of law firm or corporate law department experience is required.
- Strong emotional intelligence, the ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners, and the ability to give well-organized, thoughtful presentation to upper management are key assets.
- A demonstrated competency in the field of pharmaceutical drug discovery, development, and commercialization is required.
- The primary emphasis will be on small molecules with some work in the molecular biology field, therefore strong competency with legal matters associated with the research, development, commercialization, and litigation relating to both small molecules and biologics is strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience drafting and prosecuting pharmaceutical-related patent applications is required.
- Experience in rendering patentability and non-infringement opinions is required.
- Experience in due diligence activities, license/agreement drafting and negotiation is preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time to domestic and international destinations.
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA.