Tesla is seeking a skilled attorney to join our Environmental, Safety and Health legal team in Fremont, CA. This attorney will support, collaborate and guide business partners on workplace safety and health compliance requirements from federal and state plan Occupation Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) regulations and related state and federal employment laws. He or she will also manage outside counsel, and advise internal business partners, regarding environmental regulatory compliance applicable to automobile manufacturing, lithium battery development, renewable energy products, and sustainable recycling programs for end of life product disposal. Should be ready to put on steel-toed boots and a hardhat and traverse our facilities. The position will be based in our Fremont, CA.
– Counsel and train internal business partners on environmental, safety, and health regulations, OSHA compliance, safety-related and “whistleblower” internal investigations.
– Advise internal teams and manages outside counsel on worker’s compensation program management.
– Oversee outside counsel, regarding OSHA and EHSS regulatory agency matters, including investigating and responding to requests for information, notices of complaint, and citations from OSHA and EHSS-related agencies.
– Directly participate in informal conferences and similar proceedings with regulatory agencies.
– Provide legal compliance advice, drafting, and implementation support on EHSS policies and procedures.
– Provide due diligence support on EHSS matters.
– Advise company on environmental permitting questions.
– Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment, where demands and priorities change rapidly.
– Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams.
– Comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves and being hands-on.
– JD and admission in at least one U.S. state bar jurisdiction.
– At least 6 years of work experience primarily related to workplace safety and health issues in the manufacturing, construction, or energy industry. In-house counsel experience preferred.
– The preferred candidate will have several years of work experience in a combination of a law firm, a state or federal agency responsible for environmental, safety, and health regulatory oversight, and experience as in-house counsel, ideally in the manufacturing, construction, or energy industry.
– Substantial experience with OSHA litigation and compliance.
– Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
– Strong influencing skills.
– Evidence of exceptional ability.