Serves as a general attorney, providing legal advice and counsel on all information/general law matters [Freedom of Information Act (FOIA); 49 CFR, Part 9; Privacy Act/Privacy Compliance; E-Discovery; records management; and Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA)], including representing the agency in litigation in conjunction with the Department of Justice.
As a general attorney, the incumbent performs the following duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Provides legal advise and counsel to management on all information/general law matters [Freedom of Information Act (FOIA); 49 CFR, Part 9; Privacy Act/Privacy Compliance; E-Discovery; records management; and Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA)]. Represents the agency in FOIA, Privacy Act, and other litigation in conjunction with the Department of Justice. Provides legal advice to FAA management including high-level agency officials, regarding any and all matters within their area(s) of expertise. Provides review and analysis of complex and significant issues within their practice areas to ensure compliance with existing laws, statutes, regulations, and agency policies.
- Conducts thorough legal research by appropriately identifying and analyzing relevant legal and factual issues and arguments. Assesses legal strengths and weaknesses of available arguments to provide accurate, complete, and practical legal advice and conclusions. Identifies and learns emerging issues, principles, and practices relevant to legal practice area.
- Produces written and oral communications that are well-organized, clear, and persuasive. Provides oral or written advice tailored to the client and requirements of the agency. Maintains the appropriate balance between providing oral and/or written advice. Effectively adjusts oral and/or written advice to meet the audience expectations and level of understanding.
- Demonstrates inter-personal skills needed to develop and maintain strong client relationships. Actively participates with clients to identify and meet client goals and objectives. Seeks consensus with client as to the timing and scope of work. Proactively identifies and appropriately pursues solutions to effectively represent agency’s interests in responding to high priority areas. Puts forth effort to meet established proficiency level goals and objectives. Keeps client informed of developments, to include why and when an extension may be necessary.
- Develops and demonstrates knowledge and understanding of key client business processes, priorities, and objectives relevant to practice area. Accurately identifies client’s business objectives and issues when providing legal advice. Provides appropriate alternative solutions as needed to meet client’s strategic business objectives. Provides legal risk/reward analysis in support of business decisions. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of when and the willingness to go to more senior-level of client based on risk levels. Demonstrates skill in representing the agency. Consistently puts forth effort needed to accomplish tasks, produce work that is timely and of professional quality.
- Keeps practice area and AGC management informed of client issues and activities that may or should be discussed at a higher management level. Keeps supervisor timely informed of developments on legal matters. Educates clients about efficient and effective use of legal resources. Effectively prioritizes work such that priorities are achieved and deadlines are met. Delegates work to the appropriate level for competent and timely completion. Uses available staff resources and technology to manage work flow and product. Seeks feedback from clients regarding quality and timeliness of service. Pursues new ideas or approaches to strengthen personal professional effectiveness. Follows established office administrative policies and procedures. Effectively participates in appropriate training or learning activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel – The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.