At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R12707 Assistant General Counsel-Corporate Litigation (Open)
The Corporate Litigation Assistant General Counsel manages day-to-day corporate litigation and provides direction to outside counsel regarding management of litigation against the Company. Counsel also provides legal expertise and business advice on a wide range of issues to the vice presidents, directors, and departments. Counsel prepares policies and procedures related to the management of litigation against the Company and supervises discovery in corporate litigation matters.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- Admission to the State Bar in a state in which the company operates.
- Juris Doctor.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Extensive experience in managing various types of insurance litigation.
- In-depth knowledge of Insurance Industry policies, practices, and procedures.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of insurance, tort law, legal procedures, the evaluation of lawsuits, and research techniques.
Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Relocation assistance is available
- Research, screen, interview and select outside counsel and other vendors for litigation related services.
- Oversees outside counsel to verify that the representation of the company is of a scope and quality appropriate to the nature of each case and that representation of the company is conducted in accordance with applicable rules of professional conduct for attorneys.
- Advises business partners regarding strategy and risk of litigation.
- Decides whether cases will be tried, settled, or otherwise resolved and grants settlement authority as appropriate.
- Analyzes litigation risk to the company.
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to business partners on contemplated actions in conjunction.
- Manages legal projects, including legal research on requested topics.
- Recommends, develops, or assists in changing or improving company practices and procedures as a result of identifying legal risks.
- Acts as a resource to internal clients. Ensures new programs are effective yet do not pose undue legal risk to the company.
- Conducts and/or oversees legal research as necessary in order to provide practical, relevant advice to help resolve complex legal issues.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates in local and state professional and bar organizations and insurance industry relevant to departmental activities.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!