Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Senior Region Counsel, NAM (US)
Mastercard is seeking an experienced attorney to provide comprehensive, end-to-end, strategic support to the U.S. Markets Team.
• Manage certain US financial institution contracts and provide legal support for core products and marketing
• Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills, as well as the ability to help clients structure complex deal structures managing a variety of related legal and regulatory issue
• Responsible for coordinating across all of the Law, Franchise & Integrity (“LFI”) Department and Mastercard on all matters affecting those financial institutions
• Works cross-functionally across issuer, core products, marketing, digital, merchant and services business lines to provide holistic support to the region.
• Collaborate with subject matter experts, including privacy counsel, IP counsel, global business counsel, finance, sales and other stakeholder teams relating to US Region go-to-market strategies for new products and services consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
• Trains and educates clients on processes, risks, changes in laws and regulations and the U.S. regulatory landscape on an ongoing basis.
• Partners with North American Region compliance lead to ensure products and services comply with corporate policies, such as gifts and hospitality, anti-bribery and anti-corruption and third party on-boarding.
• Identifies needed process improvements and efficiencies; owns and executes solutions to support our transformation strategy and drives towards streamlining processes to increase ease of doing business
• Operate as a trusted advisor to the business clients on a daily basis with respect to wide-ranging issues.
• Acts as the principal day-to-day advisor for clients, including partnering with the business and legal speicalists to implement applicable laws and regulations that facilitate commercial operations and activities
• Autonomously structures, drafts, reviews and negotiates sophisticated legal agreements related to business operations and activities, including identifying risk, recommending modifications and approvals of legal agreements
• Communicates changes in laws and regulations and trains clients on risks, legal consequences, and alternative actions, as needed
• Partners with legal specialists and outside counsels to coordinate research, investigate legal issues, and ensure compliance with regulations
• Trains and educates clients on risks, legal consequences, and alternative actions, as needed
• Coaches and mentors others while serving as a technical expert, often leading cross-functional strategic initiatives and sharing legal knowledge for a business and/or market
All About You:
• Proven experience working with complex legal transactions at a reputable law firm, or as an in-house counsel
• JD from an accredited law school; admitted to and in good standing with the NY bar.
• Highly confident, a thought leader and a problem solver to be able to tackle unfamiliar situations
• Keen business insight and strong communication skills to interact confidently and effectively with internal clients, Mastercard customers and LFI colleagues, including senior management
• Must be a team player and willing to take on a variety of responsibilities and roles that support the team, department and the company
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced team environment
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact reasonable.accommodationmastercard.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.