Assistant General Counsel – Regulatory & Compliance
We are seeking a senior attorney to join the dynamic and collaborative in-house Legal Department based at our Corporate Headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA. In this high-profile, hands-on leadership role, you will report to the Deputy General Counsel, Regulatory & Compliance and will be responsible for leading a team of compliance attorneys and professionals that develop, implement, and maintain the company’s global ethics and compliance program. The program is designed to ensure compliance with the company’s core values — known as the S.T.E.E.L. Principles — and applicable laws and regulations.
• Advises and assists business partners in complying with applicable state and federal laws and regulations and company policies and procedures.
• Serves as a subject matter expert in trade compliance, including export controls, economic sanctions, import/export regulations, and antiboycott rules.
• Assists in overseeing the anticorruption program, including due diligence reviews, monitoring, and risk assessments.
• Serves as a compliance subject matter expert on complex commercial transactions, including international purchases and sales of goods.
• Liaises with European subsidiary to ensure compliance with international laws and regulations and appropriate interpretation and adoption of corporate policies and procedures.
• Assists in preparing quarterly reports and presentations to the Board of Directors and material for executive leadership concerning the operations of the compliance program, including investigations.
• Develops compliance-related corporate policies and procedures, communications, training, and events.
• Mentors and trains junior ethics and compliance attorneys.
• Maintains a corporate culture with a high degree of emphasis on dignity, respect, and inclusion.
• Coordinates with in-house and outside counsel, consultants, and others as needed on specific compliance issues.
• Ensures that legal services provided are cost-effective, practical, and consistent with the company’s philosophies and Legal Department business goals.
• Ensures that the Legal Department implements leading practices and operates at the highest ethical and governance standards.
• Carries out other duties, as assigned.
• Juris Doctor and admitted to the Bar in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, a reciprocal state, or with the ability to transfer into the Bar in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
• At least seven years of concentrated experience that demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and applied understanding within the identified areas of expertise.
• Experience with antitrust, data privacy, lobbying, and campaign finance laws helpful, but not required.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to interact with all levels of management, employees, and outside counsel; the ability to act as an authoritative spokesperson and advocate on behalf of the company; and excellent persuasion skills.
• Both in-house and major law firm experience preferred.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle a variety of different tasks and priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to condense large volumes of data into sophisticated reports, charts, and other visual and illustrative aids preferred.
• Strong project management and follow-up skills.
• High energy, drive, and unquestioned integrity.
• Ability to travel as necessary.
• Demonstrated experience managing outside counsel, including establishing and managing project budgets preferred.
• Previous leadership experience preferred.
• Normal office environment for a mission driven, high impact team.
• Work hours regularly exceed 40 plus hours per week.
• Position requires a passionate, motivated, driven individual with a proven ability to get the job accomplished.
Auto req ID
Legal & Compliance
Work Location – City
US – PA
Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
As a senior leader of the company, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to lead change, effective communication, and high-performance teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
United States Steel Corporation