Amazon’s Legal Department is looking for an experienced environmental attorney to be based in Seattle and support Amazon Web Services, a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. Amazon Web Services is at the forefront of the “cloud” computing and service industry, providing IT infrastructure services such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services, browsers and more. We are looking for a talented attorney to support Amazon’s world wide data centers that power our rapidly growing and evolving cloud computing business.
You will be part of a team responsible for counseling Amazon’s data center business on a broad range of environmental regulatory and compliance matters, focusing primarily on the Americas. You will work directly with Amazon Web Service’s world-wide environmental and health & safety teams and report to AWS’ senior environmental compliance counsel. Principal duties include providing day-to-day advice on compliance issues, monitoring and advising the business of upcoming regulatory changes, developing and improving compliance policies and procedures, working cross-functionally with other data center teams to ensure compliance, negotiating commercial transactions with vendors, resolving issues that arise in the compliance areas and handling pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries. Some travel, domestic and international, will be required.
Qualified candidates must have three or more years of legal experience advising on environmental laws. The successful candidate must be enthusiastic, pragmatic, enjoy working hard and being challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. A J.D. degree and membership in one state bar is required. Amazon offers its attorneys the opportunity to develop their experience and career with one of the world’s most recognized and dynamic brands. Competitive salary includes equity.
· 3+ years of legal experience in environmental compliance matters, with at least one year at a law firm
· Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
· International compliance experience
· Previous data center environmental compliance experience
· A mix of law firm and in-house experience
· Excellent organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
· Common sense, great judgment, and a good sense of humor