Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our growing Privacy & Product legal team as Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Product. In this position you will play a key role in supporting the engineering, product, and sales organizations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company. You will work on cutting-edge privacy and product projects, in a modern, cloud-first, SaaS environment, to help Okta deliver world-class products to our thousands of global customers.
This position will be based in Okta’s downtown San Francisco headquarters, where we have all the great perks you would expect from a top-tier tech company: fully-stocked kitchens, competitive salary and benefits, catered lunches, equity incentives, flexible time off, work-from-home, and more. If you want to work at a company that values personal growth, professional development, volunteerism, and solves complex problems with a talented, dedicated, and supportive team of legal leaders, then apply to join our rapidly-growing team!
- Support our Sales and Professional Services teams by working with customers, prospective customers, and partners on privacy and product-related questions regarding Okta’s services;
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Engineering and Product Management teams regarding privacy-by-design principles;
- Assist the company in identifying patentable inventions and work with outside counsel as necessary to secure appropriate patent protection;
- Partner with the Commercial Legal team in customer negotiations, including supporting the drafting and negotiation of privacy-related agreements and addenda;
- Be a resident expert and thought leader on, and ensure Okta’s compliance with, all applicable global privacy and data protection laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), NIS Directive, E-privacy Regulation, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act;
- Partner with members of the legal, security & compliance, technology, marketing and human resources teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with laws, regulations, compliance frameworks, and customer contracts;
- Iterate on and maintain internal privacy policies and procedures, including Okta’s internal privacy compliance program;
- Develop training materials and provide training to employees on privacy-related obligations;
- Work with Okta’s other legal and public policy stakeholders to help influence privacy and data protection policy, laws, regulations, and frameworks.
- Law degree from a highly-regarded school and California bar admission;
- Familiarity and comfort with the culture of a fast-paced enterprise software company;
- 7+ years’ experience (combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred), including at least 5 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters;
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills;
- Strong experience in leading and closing complex contract negotiations involving cutting-edge cloud computing issues;
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented approach to driving projects to closure;
- Team-oriented and collaborative: a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity regarding legal and regulatory aspects of data privacy and security;
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment;
- Experience in and/or knowledge of software-as-a-service and internet industries and technical concepts;
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (US and/or EU) is a plus.