Northwestern is seeking a high-level transactional lawyer with prior experience in complex matters. The incumbent will focus on providing advice and counsel primarily regarding corporate, transactional, research, and regulatory matters. He or she will work closely with officers, administrators, deans, and faculty across the University on a variety of pending legal issues as well as provide strategic guidance to the University. The incumbent will review, draft, and negotiate contracts for a variety of university departments as well as deal with real estate issues, intellectual property matters, environmental matters, international issues, tax questions, compliance issues, and other duties as assigned. The incumbent should have good judgment, be personable, and be capable of independently performing a variety of complicated tasks. In-depth knowledge of applicable law in one or more areas of responsibility is necessary as well as a willingness to learn new subject areas of law and issue-spot, and the ability to implement newly acquired knowledge with confidence.
Please note that the requirements specified in this posting are the basic qualifications required for the Assistant General Counsel; however, job title will be dependent on the candidate’s level of experience in those requirements.
- Reviews and negotiates contracts and agreements, such as leases, goods and services, personal service contracts, research agreements, vendor agreements and academic agreements.
- Provides advice and counsel regarding real estate, land use, international, tax, privacy issues, environmental law, bankruptcy, intellectual property, general corporate law and compliance matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Admitted or immediately admissible to the Illinois bar and must be able to work collegially in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum of five years’ legal experience in one or more of the specified substantive areas either in a college/university environment or with a law firm.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Transactional experience working on complex corporate matters for a variety of clients.
- Experience working on Higher Education legal matters either at a Higher Education institution or at a law firm.
- Experience with real estate issues and/or tax issues.