This vacancy will be filled through OPM’s Direct Hire Authority. This position is in the Excepted Service. Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
As an ATTORNEY ADVISOR (GENERAL) you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Work within the framework of U.S. law and regulations, including DoD, Defense Logistics Agency and Joint Staff (JS) directives and policies.
- Focus primarily on Civilian Personnel and Labor Law; Standards of Conduct and Government Ethics; and Administrative Law, including legal issues associated with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act.
- Support the JS in both general and specialized areas of considerable complexity requiring a broad knowledge of the law, administrative practices, and organizational structure of the DoD, the Joint Staff, the combatant commands, and the Military Departments.
- Provide legal services, advice, counsel, and representation in the fields of civilian personnel and labor law; equal employment opportunity; standards of conduct, government ethics, and administrative law to include fiscal law, FOIA/Privacy Act, and such other duties as the CJCS/LC and/or the Principal Deputy may assign.
- Act independently on assigned range of legal issues, conduct required legal research independently and prepare legal analyses and opinions regarding assigned legal matters.
- Maintain close liaison with legal counterparts within DoD OGC; OCJCS/LC; the combatant commands; and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.