What is a VP Managing Attorney?
Reporting to the Company’s Deputy General Counsel, this position will serve as the principal business lawyer for the Assurant Global Auto business, an innovative ever-changing business lineoperating in over 17 countries and partnering with some of the largest companies in the world. Assurant Global Auto provides vehicle protection services and other auto risk transfer products to consumers through a wide range of distribution channels.
The VP, Managing Attorney, Global Auto will serve as strategic legal advisor to the Global Auto Business, advising on innovative, game changing initiatives while enabling sustainable growth and proactively managing legal risk. This position will lead a team of lawyers and other professionals in providing general and commercial legal advice to the Auto business, including in the context of strategic initiatives, product development and commercial negotiations. Working closely with others in the department, this position will also advise on the management of commercial disputes as well as regulatory and government relations matters.
Why You Should Consider This Role
- You are authentic and love coaching and connecting with people
- You value the autonomy to use common sense and good judgment to make decisions
- You are naturally comfortable exercising discretion when interpreting policies
- You treat others with dignity and respect and consider the benefits and risks to employees and the business when addressing issues
- You are comfortable dealing with conflict and providing specific feedback
- You go above and beyond in your role as a leader because you want to, not because you have to
- You are a change agent
What You Will Like
- The people – we care
- The diversity – every day is different
- The excitement – we focus on ‘What Matters Most’ to our customers
- The difference in the value Assurant places on strong leadership
- The opportunity to learn, grow and advance within our fortune 300 global company
- Competitive salary
- Advice and Counsel (60%) Employ understanding and interpretation of the business’ strategy, objectives and projects to identify potential legal risks. Counsel and advise business management on the ramifications of those risks and actions that can be taken to avoid or minimize them consistent with AIZ compliance philosophies.
- Research (20%) Research, analyze and determine effects of state and federal statutes, regulations and court opinions on business practices and procedures.
- Draft and Negotiate Contracts and Legal Documents (5%) Analyze, revise, edit, approve, create, prepare and/or negotiate form or stand-alone contracts to reflect current or changing business or legal needs. Assess risks associated with particular contract provisions. Provide alternative contract language or provisions to allow for appropriate development of business practices and procedures.
- Staff and function management (15%) Manages attorneys and paralegals
What You Should Know About Us
- Assurant, Inc. helps people protect what matters most to them
- We have been around for a while with our roots tracing back to 1892
- We are a Fortune 300 company employing approximately 15,000 people in 16 countries
- We provide specialty protection products and related services to safeguard against risks
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Member of US Bar in good standing
- 10-15 years in the practice of law
- Financial management/budget experience
- Effective communication skills verbal and writing skills
- Ability to evaluate complex legal and regulatory issues and recommend appropriate and defensible courses of action
- Up to 35% travel required
- Prior experience drafting contracts and other complex legal documents
- Strong oral communication and ability to offer defensible arguments in a variety of situations, including adversarial positions
- Ability to write persuasive legal arguments
- Ability to influence without direct authority
- Ability to negotiate with senior leaders
- Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures to completion of difficult tasks and assignments
- Ability to evaluate facts, identify legal issues and risks, locate applicable legal authority, analyze and understand changing statues and legislation and case law
- Recommend and defend appropriate courses of action in best interest of business and Assurant
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Assurant’s Code of ethics and the Canons of Professional Responsibility
We offer comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), pension, generous paid time off and much more.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit: http: jobs.assurant.com/
Follow us on Twitter! http: twitter.com/AssurantCareers (AssurantCareers)