We’re Equinor, an international energy company with a proud history. Formerly Statoil, we are 20,000 committed colleagues developing oil, gas, wind and solar energy in more than 30 countries worldwide. We’re the largest operator in Norway, among the world’s largest offshore operators, and a growing force in renewables. Driven by our Nordic urge to explore beyond the horizon, and our dedication to safety, equality and sustainability, we’re building a global business on our values and the energy needs of the future.
Legal (LEG) is the competence unit for all legal matters related to the Equinor group’s business areas and corporate activities and consist of legal experts, specialists, consultants, and qualified support personnel. The department has overall responsibility for advising on all legal matters and on ethics and anti-corruption compliance, undertaking Integrity Due Diligence research and acting as the Corporate Bodies’ secretariat within the Equinor group.
Senior Legal Counsel for New Energy Solutions (NES) with focus on US East Coast and broader global responsibility for international NES developments
• Advise on the development of the multi-billion dollar offshore wind projects on US East Coast
• Advise on the multi-billion dollar sales of power related to NES projects
• Advise on the strategy to transform Equinor’s business into a multi-faceted energy hub on the US East Coast
• Build competence and lead improvement throughout legal (100 lawyers) on new energy solutions, in particular to help with other multi-billion dollar projects such as the Dogger Bank Project in UK
• Provide advice to team leader and others on development of entire NES portfolio across the world
• Negotiate and draft confidentiality agreements, shareholders’ agreements, joint venture agreements, operations and maintenance agreements, land use agreements, sales agreements and assorted other agreements related to the NES business
• Advise on acquisitions and divestitures of land, leases and/or licenses
• General legal support as required
• In addition to asset related matters, there will be exposure to other legal and corporate matters including implementation of corporate directives and governing documents
• Represent Equinor in multiple business arenas to advise and comment on the development of the regulatory environment
• Manage and develop new ways of working and reducing costs with external and internal lawyers both in US and in other locations. This will also involve developing competence and ways of working within the NES BA itself.
• Engage and direct outside counsel when necessary
• In addition to a J.D., candidate must also be a member in good standing of the Connecticut State Bar or other US state bar, or be eligible to be licensed in Connecticut
• Extensive and deep experience of advising senior management within the renewables sector. Ideally with competence across project development, regulatory, project finance, power sales and grid development.
• Commercial awareness and demonstrated ability to support strategic transformation
• Competence within the areas of Corporate Governance and Compliance/Anti-Corruption
• Precise written and oral communication skills
• Strong work ethic, nimbleness, and ability to handle a wide range of tasks in a dynamic work environment
• Ability to live by our safety and security expectations
• Proven ability to make a difference
• Structured with strong understanding of compliance
• Wants to see colleagues succeed
• Organized, with ability to prioritise activities and make decisions in complex situations with many parties involved
• Solution driven with a commercial mind
• Understand and manage risk
• Must have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to work collaboratively and constructively, both individually and as part of a cross-disciplinary team.