This position plays an integral role in supporting the senior corporate management in the strategic development of the company’s worldwide intellectual property to help ensure freedom-to-operate but also enforcement of the company’s patents as needed to achieve business goals. Develop and counsel corporate business teams on intellectual property strategies associated with Guardant Health commercial and research endeavors
- Work in partnership with outside counsel and other in-house attorneys and staff to develop and drive case strategies as an active team member, including all infringement, validity, and enforceable positions, and as needed, freedom-to-operate analysis
- Hands-on involvement in witness interviews, discovery (production, support and/or conduct of depositions, drafting of discovery responses), motion and brief drafting, trial preparation (including witness selection and preparation, selection of trial exhibits, drafting of jury instructions, etc.), and participation at trial and on appeal
- Defend and enforce the company’s intellectual property interests worldwide, with a focus on the clinical diagnostics aspects of the company’s IP portfolio
- J.D. degree or LL.M. degree from an ABA accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction and 7-10+ years of experience practicing intellectual property law in the life sciences industry
- Trial experience (bench or jury), ideally including litigating U.S. patent disputes in federal and/or administrative courts that involved biotechnology-related matters
- Degree in the sciences and a working understanding of molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, cellular biology, protein chemistry or the like is strongly preferred, particularly in conjunction with experience in the clinical diagnostics field.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills (including law firm or corporate experience having managed others) combined with a strong client service focus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, be a self-starter, energetic, positive, analytical, able to drive results, and have a proven ability to work as part of—and in some situations, lead—cross-functional teams.
- Exhibit the highest integrity, excellent judgment, and the ability to proactively recognize and effectively communicate legal issues to corporate management.
- Ability to work independently, while prioritizing and managing complex projects; contribute to the implementation of new corporate and policies and procedures, including internationally.