Job Description and Responsibilities
As Associate Counsel, you will be a member of the Visa’s Legal Department in the Global Client Management group in North America. You will be responsible for providing lead, day-to-day legal support to account executives and other internal clients in Visa’s Financial Institution Sales and Merchant Sales and Solutions teams in North America, with a particular focus on the drafting and negotiation of strategic alliance and incentive agreements with external Visa clients.
Primary responsibilities include (i) independently drafting and negotiating complex business transactions including brand incentive and strategic alliance agreements (including Visa Growth Agreements), acquirer processor and merchant routing agreements, and other general corporate/services agreements with external Visa clients; (ii) extensive business dealings with Visa’s external member client base including member financial institutions (i.e., issuers and acquirers), merchants, processors, third party program managers and other Visa System participants, (iii) drafting, updating and managing template contracts to allow for a more efficient contract administration process and (iv) providing day-to-day legal support and guidance to Visa’s sales account executives responsible for managing client relationships in North America. Will work closely with Visa’s incentive contract administration group (“CCM”) and other support functions, and will have ongoing responsibility for managing Visa’s incentive agreement templates.
- Required Education: J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to California Bar.
- Experience: 3-7 years
- Experience in top law firm and/or in-house environments.
- Background and knowledge of some or all of the following is preferred: the payment services industry and related credit and debit processing industries, banking and financial institutions laws and regulations, and/or antitrust and competition law. – Experience drafting, negotiating and/or litigating complex commercial transactions, with superior analytical, problem solving and writing skills. Litigators will be considered.
- Strong people skills with proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work on cross functional teams on complex deals and process.
- Versatility, ability to prioritize and handle a large number of matters, and ability to work effectively and collegially on a small legal team with significant workload.
- Motivated, self-starter with ability to work independently
- First-rate writing, drafting and oral advocacy skills are critical.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires no travel
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds