The New York City Business Integrity Commission (“BIC”) is both a law enforcement and regulatory agency. Formed in 1996 as the Trade Waste Commission, BIC regulates the commercial garbage collection industry and the public wholesale markets in NYC. To eliminate organized crime from those industry and create and preserve a healthy and competitive business environment, BIC utilizes a unique combination of a full range of law enforcement tactics and regulatory oversight.
BIC is seeking a dynamic, experienced attorney to serve as Executive Agency Counsel. This person will conduct investigations relating to applicants for Commission-issued licenses and registrations, make recommendations regarding regulatory determinations, draft commission decisions and directives, work with the Deputy Commissioner of Legal Affairs to provide a wide range of legal and policy advice and support to the agency, and conduct other legal work related to the agency’s jurisdiction. The specific duties that may arise in this position include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting sworn interviews of and engaging in other direct contact with applicants and related individuals;
• Drafting document requests and subpoenas;
• Research and analysis of applicable law and formulating recommendations on legal, legislative and policy issues;
• Conducting settlement negotiations and hearings related to administrative violations and other issues;
• Working collaboratively with the Investigations Unit and Audit Unit;
• Working collaboratively with other law enforcement agencies on criminal investigations; and
• Coordinating with the NYC Law Department on litigation matters involving the agency.
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment.
• Excellent writing, legal research, analytical and communication skills;
• Litigation experience (witness examination skills preferred);
• Self-motivated, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; and
• Strong attention to detail.
Non-City candidates: https: a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
The Business Integrity Commission is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer