Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Provides legal advice and counsel for Allstate Benefits operations including: regulatory compliance, contracting, policy administration, and privacy and data security. Duties include: provide counsel to business clients on day to day lower complexity/less sensitive issues, identify business and legal needs and issues, conduct legal research, and prepare and present analysis and recommendations; draft and review documents; assist with projects; monitor new laws and regulations; oversee defense of the Company in litigation and other disputes with third parties.
Legal Advice and Counseling
- Perform factual due diligence—gather all relevant facts and documents; collaborate with business partners and other Law & Regulation members
- Perform legal research—identify and apply to facts applicable laws, regulations, and other legal authority
- Identify, define and resolve legal issues
- Explain and counsel business partners on impact of legal requirements and collaborate with them on developing and implementing compliant processes
- Collaborate with other areas of L&R
Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review and negotiate basic matters, agreements, routine communications and forms
Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Gather facts to understand goals and objectives client intends to achieve
- Determine if/how business processes and practices need to be modified and work with business partners, other potentially impacted business units and L&R departments to implement change
Key Responsibilities (Cont’d)
- Manage moderately-complex projects including development of meeting materials, and coordination and collaboration with senior management, legal teams and business clients
- Retain and manage outside counsel representing the Company in Federal and state courts throughout the country to include development of trial and settlement strategy, and perform budget oversight
- Oversee discovery, identifying relevant facts, materials, and witnesses, to include witness preparation
- Assist business partners with responses to regulatory investigations, examinations and disputes
- Participate in meetings with business partners at all levels of the Company
- Participate in relevant external industry groups
Core Competencies. Should have the following knowledge and/or propensity to learn:
- Knowledge of insurance industry and regulation, to include regulatory and litigation environment
- Understanding of litigation processes and procedures
- Legal research, analytical and communication skills
- Possesses a juris doctorate and license to practice law in Florida (or be eligible to provide in-house counsel under Florida Bar Rules)
- 1+ years related experience
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.