Associate Coverage Counsel
We currently have an opportunity available for an experienced Associate Coverage Counsel to join our Claims Legal team in our Denver, CO or Plymouth, MN office locations. The Associate Coverage Counsel analyzes complex claims and the law to determine contractual obligations under the insurance policy. Provides oversight and recommendations for disposition of claims or directs additional investigation as required.
- Reviews assigned complex claims to determine contractual obligations and provide insurance coverage advice.
- Directs additional investigation as appropriate.
- Identifies and documents controlling legal issues. Researches Westlaw to identify and analyze similar issues and recommend courses of action. Completes ad hoc research projects.
- Draws on inductive/deductive reasoning from case law to determine the company’s contractual obligations.
- Communicates coverage opinions via correspondence and internal communications.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to other claims departments. Work with business segment leads to better understand their business products in order to gain experience in dealing with coverage issues in those respective business lines.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of competitive, regulatory and legal environments and applies this information effectively.
- Provides training and mentoring to less experienced claim personnel.
- Must have the ability to diagnose, analyze and solve highly complex problems.
- Requires a familiarity with the law in multiple states (OneBeacon could work in all 50 states) and a sense for judiciary objectives in resolving contractual responsibilities.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite and other electronic systems.
Education and Experience:
- 5-7 years of experience preferably in the insurance industry and law firm environment focusing on insurance coverage litigation.
- JD required.
Denver CO, Plymouth MN
OneBeacon Insurance Group focuses on the unique risks faced by certain industry groups that we believe would benefit from specialized expertise, tailored products and an intense commitment to service. At OneBeacon, we believe that specialized expertise matters. Through our underwriting companies, we offer a broad range of specialty insurance products and services sold through independent agencies, regional and national brokers, wholesalers and managing general agencies. Each OneBeacon business is managed by an experienced team of specialty insurance professionals focused on a specific customer group or industry segment they know well.