At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R11080 Managing Attorney (Open)
The Regional Legal Managing Attorney occupies the first line legal management position in the Claims Legal Division. Provides primary direction to either a litigation or supervisory unit within the local claims legal operation, which may include a single office or multiple offices. Acts exclusively as the Claims Legal Division’s local management representative. Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the division’s local office(s) as they contribute to the achievement of company and division goals. Handles claims litigation in the best interest of insureds and the company. Provides specific, case-by-case legal advice to local company managers and personnel as needed to enable them to resolve complex legal issues. Achieves company and divisional goals in a manner consistent with the laws and regulations of the various states within which the local office operates.
- This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated civil trial experience.
- Demonstrated experience dealing with issues related to (i) tort law, (ii) litigation practice, and (iii) property and casualty insurance contracts, law and regulation.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and insurance law.
- Juris Doctor.
- Litigation Unit: Admission to the State Bar in state where the primary litigation office is located or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within 12 months of hiring.
- Supervision Unit: Admission to the State Bar in a state where American Family is licensed to do business or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within 18 months of hiring.
Additional Job Information:
- Candidates selected for an interview with the hiring manager will be asked to complete a leadership skills assessment.
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Relocation assistance is available
Assignment and Supervision (30%)
- Using Sourcing Department resources, selects, negotiates, and contracts with outside counsel and other vendors for litigation related services.
- Oversees staff’s supervision of outside counsel or file handling by staff counsel to verify that the representation of the insured and/or the company is of a scope and quality appropriate to the nature of each case and that representation of the insured and/or the company is conducted in accordance with applicable rules of professional conduct for attorneys.
- On cases above the supervising attorney’s stated authority or on cases handled by litigation staff attorneys, decides whether cases will be tried, settled, or otherwise resolved and grants settlement authority as appropriate.
- Participates in the legal strategy of files handled by litigation staff attorneys as requested or after file review. Participates as requested by supervising attorney in developing the legal strategy of files handled by outside counsel.
- Analyzes litigation risk to the insured and the company.
- Assigns files to staff counsel to provide litigation services to the insured and/or company or assigns the file to staff counsel for supervision of litigation involving the insured and/or company. The managing attorney responsible for inside litigation will determine if a file is to be litigated by staff counsel or supervised by staff counsel.
Management/Leadership for Department or Unit (25%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve department/unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes department/unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans.
Legal Services to the Company (20%)
- Provides expertise by analyzing files and making decisions or recommendations as appropriate on issues of coverage, liability, damages, investigation, regulatory compliance, insurance fraud, declaratory judgment actions, appeals, and file handling tactics.
- Oversees preparation for trials, alternative dispute resolution processes, or other adjudicative proceedings handled by litigation staff attorneys on behalf of the company.
- Testifies before legislative committees on matters affecting tort and insurance law.
- Reviews files and oversees other work of direct reports for quality and adherence to company and divisional policies and procedures.
Legal Advice and Consultation to Business Partners (10%)
- Provides expertise by consulting with Strategic Business Units and other business partners.
- Provides expertise by analyzing files and inquiries of all sorts and providing legal advice to help resolve complex legal issue involving coverage, liability, damages, investigation, regulatory compliance, insurance fraud, declaratory judgment actions, and good faith file handling for business partners.
- Conducts and/or oversees legal research as necessary in order to provide practical, relevant advice to help resolve complex legal issues and to influence appropriate good faith file resolution.
Strategies Linked to the Division’s Business Goals/Results (5%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family’s business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision-making.
Training of Company Personnel (5%)
- Develops or oversees training programs for Claims division personnel as requested by Claims management or on any topics of relevance to Claims Operations functioning.
- Develops or oversees training programs for company personnel as requested by management on any law related topics of relevance to company operations.
Divisional Promotion (5%)
- Participates in local and state professional and bar organizations relevant to departmental activities.
- Participates in insurance industry organizations relevant to department activities.
- Represents and promotes the legal division both internally and externally.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!