Schwab Charitable is an independent public charity created to increase charitable giving in the United States by offering the flexible giving solution of a donor-advised fund (DAF) account. A donor-advised fund account is a simple, flexible, tax-smart investment account designed specifically for charitable purposes that offers clients and advisors a simple and streamlined way to contribute, invest and grant effectively. We are a leading national donor-advised fund provider—having granted out to over 123,000 charities nationwide since inception on behalf of our donors.
At Schwab Charitable, we believe people have an inherent desire to give and that investing and giving when done together can empower us to make a real difference in the world. We make it easy to integrate charitable giving into clients’ financial planning and wealth management conversations. We believe that if our clients apply the same thoughtful strategy to their giving and philanthropy they apply to their finances and investments, they will be happier and more fulfilled donors. With our uniquely integrated approach, our simple and tax-smart giving solution, our access to online resources and our team of charitable specialists, we offer the tools, guidance and relationships to help donors give more to the charities that matter most to them.
Organizational Risk Management identifies, measures and manages risk and compliance across Schwab Charitable consistent with its charitable mission and strategy. We are responsible for the design and implementation of the organization-wide risk management and regulatory compliance program. We identify current and emerging risk and compliance concerns and collaborate in the design and implementation of robust and well-controlled business processes which mitigate risk and/or ensure compliance. We are responsible for monitoring compliance with Schwab Charitable’s Plan of Controls, performing regular internal reviews, monitoring and reporting progress of outstanding remediation action plans. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong legal and regulatory compliance background; a successful record of designing effective compliance programs that are value-added to the organization; with the ability to assess complex regulatory and business risk and to execute, measure and monitor compliance programs. This individual must possess strong analytic and organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills and a passion for teamwork and customer service. The position is an individual contributor role that reports to the Managing Director – Organizational Risk Management.
What you’re good at
As a Senior Compliance Attorney, your responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to, the following activities:
- Provide regulatory compliance advice on applicable federal and state rules and regulations, supervisory systems, policies and procedures pertaining to DAFs. Monitoring and advising on changes to rules, regulations and the regulatory environment.
- Prepare and review legal documents and agreements; conduct regulatory research. Design agreement templates, define policy and procedure, design processes to oversee execution of the agreements; review and interact with key clients and stakeholders to negotiate custom agreements.
- Assess existing control processes against regulatory requirements and expectations of prudential regulators relating to enterprise-wide compliance risks. Recommend compliance-based updates to risk-control self-assessements, process controls, policies and procedures.
- Liaising across departments to address compliance issues or events as they may arise, close self-identified compliance gaps and/or drive other initiatives/projects as assigned.
- Support Managing Director – Organizational Risk Management with common risk escalations relating to compliance questions. Identify proactive solutions for recurring issues/escalations related to regulatory compliance, such as edits to procedures and job aids. Identify stakeholders and ripple effects (other regulatory concerns, not initially evident) and to minimize risk of recurrence.
- Administer relevant watch lists.
- Assist with the creation of stakeholder training and/or support as deemed necessary to drive awareness and understanding of regulatory compliance.
- Creation of status reports on compliance initiatives and assist in creation of top quality PowerPoint presentations for delivery to internal executives.
- Develop strong, positive working relationships with Schwab Charitable colleagues and with other risk, compliance and control functions and business units. Foster a learning environment where department and business partners are encouraged to improve efficiencies and controls.
What you have
- Highly organized; able to manage multiple processes effectively. Demonstrated strength in planning and execution of multiple projects
- Commitment to excellence, customer service, collaboration and teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to implement effective compliance programs, drafting and reviewing contracts: including MOUs, LOUs, work orders, and grant agreements
- Strong ability to analyze, research and resolve problems
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills, including ability to communicate effectively with senior management, peers, and outside parties
- Demonstrated ability to work well across the organization, building strong relationships that support Schwab Charitable’s mission.
- Critical thinker with ability to anticipate impact and react effectively to changes in regulatory and business climate
- Solid understanding of donor-advised fund (IRS, State Charities Regulators and fiduciary rules), RIA, SEC, banking and broker/dealer regulatory environments and ability to apply to Schwab Charitable’s unique situation.
- Strong knowledge of risk management principles, methodologies and tools, governance principles and regulations in a financial services environment.
- Previous experience with a donor advised fund or foundation preferred
- Ability and willingness to take on a role that ranges from learning operational roles and processes, to understanding and applying complex regulations; from drafting contracts and policies to reviewing agreements and procedures; to delivering conceptual presentations to senior executives.