There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and shareexpertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company domestically and internationally. We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced transactional attorney to serve as Senior Counsel, working as the lead attorney for our markets team. This position is based in our San Francisco, California office and will report to our head of product for Legal. You will serve as the primary legal advocate for the Coinbase team that interfaces directly with digital asset issuers, market makers, institutional investors, and other business partners in expanding our market offerings for both our retail and institutional customers. Embedded with this team, you will collaborate closely with business executives, cross-departmental team members, and legal department colleagues, taking a leadership role in advising our markets team in all aspects of their business, including the negotiation of complex commercial transactions and developing new products.
What you’ll be doing:
- Integrate yourself into the day-to-day operations of the Coinbase markets team, providing legal, business, and strategic advice.
- Negotiate a wide range of complex commercial transactions, including asset listing agreements, business development arrangements, OTC transactions, and other commercial, financial services and technology-related agreements.
- Develop standard form contracts, negotiation playbooks, and self-service legal resources for the business in order to scale and increase efficiency.
- Advise the markets team on a variety of legal issues that arise in the development and operation of the markets business.
- Develop scaled strategies for addressing risk in business-centric ways and build processes that allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute their transactional and product roadmap.
- Work cross-departmentally, including: compliance, communications, finance, tax, data, analytics, corporate development, and members of Coinbase executive leadership.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests and coordinate closely with legal department colleagues to ensure delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Train the markets team on a variety of legal and compliance matters.
- Assist the markets team in operationalizing business requirements of executed transaction agreements.
What we look for in you:
- J. D. degree with 7+ years of legal experience, including at a large law firm and/or in-house.
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating complex commercial, licensing and other technology related agreements.
- Experience in regulated financial services industry is a plus.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Experience working with and presenting to C-suite and VP-level leadership.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Strong interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Sound and practical business judgement.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ.
- Sense of humor.
- Active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.