The Legal and Compliance Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with all of the legal and regulatory requirements to which we are subject, protecting the firm from regulatory and reputational risk across the globe, and strengthening the firm’s culture of compliance. We do this through collaborative partnership with the business units we support by providing thoughtful and timely advice. In addition, the department conducts global monitoring and training activities that prevent, detect and mitigate regulatory and reputational risk. The advice coupled with the monitoring and training activities provide the framework to support the firm’s business strategy and objectives while maintaining a high standard for integrity.
The Alternatives Legal Team is responsible for coordinating and supervising the legal aspects of AB’s privately-offered alternative investment vehicles from launch through each fund’s life cycle. AB’s alternative products platform has expanded dramatically in the past several years. The group supports a number of different client groups within AB. AB currently has over $25 billion in alternative products AUM.
The principal client groups supported by the alternative products legal group are:
- Hedge Funds. AB currently manages a number of proprietary hedge funds and a fund-of-managers platform.
- Private Credit. During the past several years AB has acquired, through lateral acquisitions, groups and individuals who have formed and are managing assets in direct lending or private credit businesses. These include:
- Middle Market Direct Lending. AB has a group based in Austin, Texas, which manages over $7 billion in commitments, including through a business development company (BDC).
- Commercial Real Estate Direct Lending. AB’s commercial real estate debt business has raised over $4 billion in commitments.
- Hedge Fund-of-Funds. AB has a group which manages through AB-sponsored funds-of-funds investments in hedge funds managed by third party managers.
- Sector and Geographic Specific Funds. AB has formed and is managing private funds which invest in mortgage backed securities, regional financial institutions, frontier market companies and the energy sector.
- Private Equity Fund-of Funds. AB has developed a relationship with a third-party private equity fund-of-funds manager to provide access to these investments for our private wealth channel.
The AB alternative products private investment fund business is growing rapidly, and AB may acquire additional groups to fill in gaps in our product offering. AB currently manages approximately $95 billion for high net worth individuals and an important focus of AB’s alternative products business plan is to create fund vehicles which can be marketed to AB’s private clients.
As an attorney within the Alternatives Legal Team, you will execute your responsibilities in partnership with the Head of Alternatives and Institutional Legal. This is a fast-paced and dynamic environment. To execute your responsibilities, you are comfortable managing competing priorities and providing thoughtful, well-reasoned guidance to nuanced circumstances so that we meet regulatory requirements and our fiduciary responsibility to our clients. Your exceptional, clear, and concise interpersonal communication skills will help you as you collaboratively problem-solve situations to meet the expectations of demanding clients. You will utilize your intellectual curiosity as you keep abreast of all of the regulatory requirements and changes that impact the jurisdictions in which we conduct business. We expect that you will execute your responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Drafting fund formation documentation for investment vehicles.
- Consideration of structure and tax implications for each jurisdiction during the formation process
- Strategizing with your legal counterparts in the various jurisdictions to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Providing sound and comprehensive legal advice while taking into account AB’s business and business initiatives.
- Managing client expectations to meet business objectives while ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- JD degree with 10+ years of experience with alternatives fund formation
- Law firm experience required, and in-house experience with an asset management company comparable to AB is a plus
- U.S. and foreign securities law experience with a full range of onshore and offshore private investment vehicles offeringsExperience with structuring of U.S. and offshore fund vehicles and familiarity with related tax and ERISA issues.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations relating to private fund formation and compliance in the U.S. and in frequently used offshore jurisdictions including Luxembourg and the Cayman Islands.
- Working knowledge of the requirements of the European Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD).
- Knowledge of Delaware limited partnerships, LLCs and trust vehicles and excellent drafting abilities relating to fund formation documents for these vehicles.
Preferred Qualification (Experience with one or more of the following)
- Business development companies
- Collective investment trusts
- Canadian trust funds
- Other 1940 Act funds