We are seeking an attorney with a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in multi-state employment law issues. Transamerica offers the successful candidate an opportunity to work in a collaborative, practical, and friendly, yet challenging, legal department. This position will be based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Enjoy a low cost of living, plentiful outdoor activities, a resurgent dining scene, and the pace of a small city. Nearby University of Iowa provides Big 10 sporting events and university town amenities. Transamerica is a financial services company that gives its employees the ability to make a real difference in people’s lives.
** Will consider other locations based on qualified candidates.
What You Will Do: As an Employment Senior Counsel, you will perform moderately complex to complex legal services for one or more departments. This person may be responsible for the operation of a certain legal team and may participate in committees or advise on business decisions.
What You Will Learn: You will be working with a team of ambitious and engaged professionals who bring fresh ideas and diverse perspectives to help us continually shake up the status quo and stay on the forefront of our legal processes and procedures. You will learn what it means to work for a company that focuses on risk mitigation and process improvement as it relates toenabling us to perform at the level we need to transform and grow our business and maintain Transamerica reputation as an industry leader.
What Success Looks Like:
- Work on complex legal issues where analysis requires identification and evaluation of multiple factors.
- Advise on or conduct internal investigations.
- Review and draft documents and templates within practice area(s).
- Review and analyze pending or existing legislation, regulations, and judicial developments affecting the company and advise on associated legal risks involving the company.
- Exercise independent judgment regarding legal advice with limited supervision of more senior attorney.
- Coordinate legal matters handled by outside counsel.
- Negotiate discrete employment-related disputes.
- Participate in departmental and cross-functional working group in identified areas of expertise.
- Manage employment-related litigation.
- Prepare and conduct training
- Participate in the development and interpretation of company policies.
What You Need:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant legal experience
- Licensed or eligible to practice in the applicable state
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and oral, with the intended audience
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in a fast paced environment
- Ability to exercise agility and adaptability in providing legal advice
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing corporate environment
- Proficient using MS Office