At Lonza, we invest in great people. We encourage our employees to challenge themselves and we offer an environment that fosters creativity and success. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, we operate production, R&D, and business sites around the world, including Europe, North America, and Asia.
We strive to be the leading supplier using science and technology to improve the quality of life.
We work with passion, using advanced technologies, to transform life science into new possibilities for our customers.
Do you want to help us as we shape the future of this great organization?
Job Description Summary
We are looking for a Senior IP Counsel – Business Partner in Alpharetta, GA or Morristown, NJ USA who reports to the IP Head Specialty Ingredients Segment.
In a global capacity, the incumbent’s roles include, but are not limited to, (i) providing expert and business-relevant advice to business unit leaders on IP strategy, transactions and patent filings globally; (ii) drafting and negotiating IP licenses and other IP-related contractual provisions and (iii) managing, building, protecting and enforcing intellectual property portfolios. The incumbent will be required to perform strategically and work independently and in team environments to provide sound business-oriented counseling on all IP matters. He/she may also mentor or supervise individuals within the IP/Legal Department.
- Decides and directs IP strategy aligned with Business Unit Strategy or R&D program strategy.
- Drives product-development teams in an IP-minded way to create business advantage.
- Leads, supervises and/or coordinates competitive IP-intelligence projects for area(s) of responsibility
- Leads IP strategy team which may include other IP attorneys, R&D and business team members
- Decides or supervises strategic patent filing and prosecution within area(s) of responsibility as business partner
- Leads strategic/risk review of post-grant proceedings and other inter parties matters
- Formulates enforcement and defensive positions, as well as design-around strategies
- Negotiates, structures and drafts (or trains others in) CDAs, MTAs, IP license agreements, R&D agreements and other IP-related agreements
- Negotiates IP terms in commercial contracts (MSA, DSA, DMSA etc.) and decides on deviations from standard IP terms
- Supports IP Due Diligence in M&A projects.
- Decides and delivers necessary IP training required in area(s) of responsibility as business partner.
- Provides or supervises Freedom-to-Operate (FTO) analyses. Decides and recommends on course of action, including risk assessment and risk mitigation
- Prepares and conducts annual global IP portfolio review in area(s) of responsibility as business partner
- Prepares and takes decisions on direction for IP-related meetings
- Directs decisions or supervises drafting of patents, handles directly (or supervises junior lawyers or external counsel) in prosecution of patents
- Counsels in area(s) of responsibility as business partner on patent matters and patent strategy
- Counsels on an expert basis on all aspects of IP law in all Lonza relevant jurisdictions and reconciles conflicting laws, risks and complexities related thereto
- Decides on post-grant-proceeding strategy and manages same
- Reviews or supervises the review of publications (advertising material, scientific articles, presentations or posters, etc.) in the area(s) of responsibility as business partner
- Provides IP litigation support and supervises, coordinates or leads enforcement or defense activities in the area(s) of responsibility as business partner
- May lead a team of Senior IP Counsels, IP Counsels and/or Patent Specialists in area(s) of responsibility as Business Partner
- Mentors junior IP counsels and other IP related roles
Minimum Required Skills/Qualifications:
- Scientific Degree (Master) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry
- Qualified Patent Attorney (or equivalent), US, UK, CH, DE (or equivalent)
- 10+ years of working experiences, 2-3 years in a Corporate IP Department or IP Law firm
- Proactive, problem-solving, independent and autonomous, self-motivating personality
- Excellent communication skills required
- Ability to negotiate mainly internally and often at higher levels
- Excellent in prioritizing work, coordinating diverse and complex activities, well capable of multitasking and functioning well under pressure
- Proven ability to work well with diverse personalities in a team and working well cross functionally
- Strong leadership skills
- Proficient in written and oral communication in English (and some German would be an upside)
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.