Your Role and Responsibilities
Position(s) is available at the IBM Patent Center, located in Buffalo, NY
The Patent Attorney position provides the opportunity to perform patent procurement work on a wide variety of IBM inventions, while interacting with IBM professionals (domestic and foreign) in nearly every business unit of the company. As part of the IBM Patent Center, you will work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and exciting work environment, with opportunities to develop and share best practices throughout the Patent Center.
- You will work in the innovative and collaborative IBM Patent Center, which prepares and prosecutes patent applications within a broad range of technologies, including, for example, technologies pertaining to cloud, cognitive computing, analytics, mobile, social, and security.
- Writing, filing, and prosecuting patent applications in the USPTO. In addition, the Patent Attorney may assist in developing the best practices for doing such patent procurement work in a high-volume, high-quality mode, and may assist and mentor others in the Patent Center.
- Work with IBM Patent Attorneys, Agents, Engineers, and Administrative Professionals both inside and outside of the Patent Center. The Patent Attorney will also work closely with IBM inventors.
You should have strong organization, writing, and communication skills to both write and prosecute patent applications with high quality and efficiency. You should also be timely, dependable, and willing to learn.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must possess a J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school and be admitted to at least one state bar, or be a third year graduating law student from an ABA-approved law school.
- Must be (1) registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) or (2) eligible to sit for the USPTO exam and are actively seeking USPTO registration.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Admitted to at least one state bar and USPTO.
- At least 2 years of experience as a USPTO registered Patent Attorney preparing and prosecuting US patent applications.
- Preferred technical backgrounds include: Computer Science; Computer Systems Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Information Technology; Chemistry or Chemical Engineering; Materials Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Physics; and another science or engineering major with significant course work in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry or Physics
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world’s most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Being You IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
State / Province
City / Township / Village
IBM Business Group
Primary job category
Secondary Job Category
Intellectual Property Legal
Role ( Job Role )
Intellectual Property Lawyer
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable – Professional Hire
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?