Team and Role Overview
The Legal team manages risk across Relativity to ensure that the company is adequately protected as it grows. To support the growth of the company, the Commercial Contracts Counsel will be an essential addition to the Legal team to negotiate contracts across the organization. This role reports to the General Counsel.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
We want to send 3-D printed rockets to space! To help the company achieve this mission/goal, we need to make sure that we are smart about entering into contracts. You will be responsible for most of the company’s contracting, including vendor, consultant, service and facilities contracts. You will work closely with the engineering teams, commercial teams and Buyer(s) in implementing transactions core to the company’s mission.
In your role, you will:
- Coordinate with Engineering and Operations leads to develop and implement a business-oriented contracting strategy.
- Lead negotiations and contracting relating to strategic partnerships.
- Negotiate, draft and review a steady flow of agreements that include:
- commercial contracts and technology transactions, including terms and conditions, master service agreements, statements of work, and NDAs;
- marketing and branding-related agreements;
- service provider agreements for Operations teams;
- real property leases;
- employment documents that are related to intellectual property and confidentiality; and customer/sales contracts.
- Responsible for positively moving transactions forward and advancing company opportunities, while protecting the company’s interests and ensuring appropriate visibility across functions.
- Must be creative in seeking solutions that work for both our company and counterparties.
- Some travel may be required.
You will be advising on contracts that have a big impact on the company, and we will rely on your strong business judgment to get these contracts to the finish line. To that end, you must have experience with technology companies in the hardware space. You must be comfortable advising on decisions with significant legal and commercial implications.
We expect you to be a detail-oriented problem solver with excellent communication skills. You translate complex legal issues to layman terms with relative ease.
We also expect you to have a strong work ethic, high integrity and a “can-do” attitude. You have a team player mindset and take a proactive approach. You are comfortable rolling up your sleeves in a startup environment and work on several major time-sensitive contracts simultaneously.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- JD from accredited law school; qualified in CA or another state (and willing to secure in-house counsel registration in CA).
- 5+ years experience in top-tier law firm working on commercial contracts and/or technology transactions.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement process improvements and lead complex initiatives.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- In-house experience at a dynamic technology or transportation company in addition to the minimum 5+ years experience as a top-tier law firm.
- Business knowledge of emerging technologies, construction, aerospace, aviation, and rail.
- Experience with real property leases.
- Top Secret Clearance and/or experience working with Space/Aerospace organizations