We are looking for a talented, mid-level litigator to help us expand economic opportunity and justice for older adults.
AARP Foundation Litigation (AFL), the litigating unit of AARP Foundation, engages in cutting-edge impact litigation and legal advocacy in federal and state courts nationwide to advance the legal rights and interests of people 50 and older. We take on unlawful government and industry practices to help older adults improve their well-being and stay connected to their communities.
You will work with senior attorneys to litigate and file amicus briefs in federal and state courts nationwide to promote elder justice and economic opportunity by protecting the earnings, savings, and benefits of older adults, particularly low-income older adults, including matters involving:
- Age and disability discrimination in employment;
- Pension rights under ERISA and other statutes;
- Financial exploitation, including the deceptive marketing and sale of goods and services of particular interest to older Americans, including reverse mortgages, insurance, payday loans, college loans for grandchildren, and other financial instruments;
- Other emerging practices threatening the economic security of older adults.
- Age discrimination accessing capital, training, technology, or other needed inputs for starting a business
- Inappropriate or unreasonable regulatory, corporate, and business barriers to entry that thwart self-employment opportunities.
Completion of a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree and at least two years of post-J.D. experience as a practicing attorney, with at least two years of experience handling complex litigation.
Must be a member in good standing of the District of Columbia Bar or be eligible for admission to the District of Columbia Bar.
Superior academic credentials.
Experience in legal matters concerning low-income or older populations desirable.
Experience with class or collective actions, especially on behalf of plaintiffs, desirable.
Demonstrated ability to successfully litigate cases individually or in teams.
Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
Highly self-motivated and entrepreneurial.
Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced professional environment.
Discretion and respect for confidentiality essential.
Bilingual Spanish/English preferred