General Description of Role:
We are seeking a smart and enthusiastic attorney to join our growing privacy team and tackle challenging privacy projects to bring our Subscription Economy products and services to market. The Senior Privacy and Transactions Counsel will focus primarily on transaction support, counseling and program support for global privacy and data protection compliance across the company. You will also have primary responsibility for supporting, drafting and negotiating privacy and data protection agreements with customers, partners and vendors.
The successful attorney will:
- Negotiate data processing agreements with customers, partners and vendors to support Zuora’s sales, operations and compliance obligations.
- Analyze new and current laws and regulations and advise on our privacy and security obligations to support our business, sales, compliance, marketing and product teams.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including senior management, on privacy and security matters to support operations and new initiatives to foster awareness and ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations across the company.
- Assist in the continued improvement of Zuora’s global privacy program (e.g., policies, procedures, training programs, compliance programs, playbooks, etc.).
- Coordinate with outside counsel as necessary with respect to data protection and security matters.
- Undertake other projects as required as part of a small legal team.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience, with a focus on privacy compliance, in-house counseling and agreement negotiations.
- Substantial knowledge of privacy and security laws and regulations, especially in the European Union, as they relate to a U.S. based technology company.
- Deep experience partnering with and providing timely support to in-house business partners is required.
- CIPP certification is strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience with SaaS and software is strongly preferred.
- Relevant law firm and in-house experience (ideally at a fast-growing, global SaaS company).
- Degree from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials.
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies: The ideal candidate –
- Is enthusiastic and intellectually curious about privacy and technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company.
- Can prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Is a creative thinker, who is comfortable with change and ambiguity and able to build scalable processes from the ground up.
- Can quickly identify and resolve issues, including balancing legal and business risks and giving clear and concise legal advice, in order to drive matters to close.
- Excels in communicating complex business, privacy and security issues to business leaders.
- Has meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product, and exceptional communication and negotiation skills.