Couchbase is searching for an experienced Director of Legal to lead its commercial legal work in the Americas and join our collaborative, fun-loving, well respected legal team, making an immediate impact across the company. This role will be based in the Bay Area (either SF or Santa Clara). In this role, you will primarily support Sales, Business Development and other teams with commercial contract work and have opportunities to contribute and manage adjacent product and privacy work. You will also manage one of our Commercial Attorneys, playing a significant role in their career development and impact.
Successful candidates will have proven experience closing sales and vendor agreements, navigate privacy regulations and information security documentation, and handle a broad range of technology transactions, including software licensing, partnership agreements and commercial contracts.
As a highly valued member of the Couchbase Legal Team, you will need to have excellent judgement and communication skills to partner with both our internal business units and external business clients and address complex issues in an accurate, clear and thorough manner. You will bring your expertise in taking action to ensure contract items are addressed efficiently, assist with maintaining our templates and form agreements, and provide managerial support for procurement. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for closing deals, creative thinking, and people management — someone with an ability to thrive in a highly engaged environment where you show true ownership and leadership in what you do and how you do it.
Responsibilities – You will be:
- Serving as a trusted advisor and business partner to executive leaders across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Couchbase’s overall business objectives
- Managing and developing one of our commercial attorneys with an eye toward the future potential of growing the team
- Negotiating and closing a wide range contracts including inbound and outbound licensing, professional services, partner, nondisclosure, vendor and other commercial and technology related agreements
- Supporting and coaching our sales and sales operations teams on deal structure and contract negotiations
- Devising and providing training modules across the company to our colleagues on a variety of topics
- Managing local outside counsel as required
Preferred Qualifications – You are:
- A practicing attorney with significant experience working in-house with sales agreements and negotiating commercial contracts (7+ years of commercial agreement experience)
- Adept at developing trusted partnerships with key stakeholders across the organization, helping to manage priorities – both your own, your team’s and at the company level
- Experienced in handling issues related to domestic and international enterprise software licensing, SaaS, intellectual property, open source software and data privacy
- A keen believer in continuing career development, and facilitate that with the people you lead
- Deep understanding of revenue recognition principles
- Passionate and excited about closing deals and working with our customers
- Able to coordinate effectively across disciplines and time zones, gain trust and confidence with colleagues at many different levels and are clear and concise in your communications
- Excited about the potential to branch out and support areas outside your primary area of focus, which may include employment, marketing and real estate
- At your best in a fast-paced team environment
- An expert at prioritizing multiple deliverables while managing expectations around oftentimes competing deadlines
Minimum Qualifications – You must:
- Have a J.D. degree, be admitted to practice law and be a member in good standing of the California bar