As we create a colorful, capable and cleaner world through chemistry, we invite you to join our team to harness the power of chemistry to shape markets, redefine industries and improve lives for billions of people around the world.
Environmental and Commercial Counsel
Chemours is seeking an Environmental and Commercial Counsel to join our growing Legal team! This position will report directly to the Associate General Counsel in our Wilmington, DE location.
Provides advice and counsel regarding complex legal matters and ensures implementation of the legal function’s policies and procedures. Assigned along function or business lines or may provide technical legal specialty counsel. May represent the organization in legal disputes, transactions, external associations.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide real-time, practical legal advice to our U.S. clients located in the management of our businesses in Wilmington, at manufacturing sites or at other locations. Coordinate with other in-house counsel to align on broader issues crossing subject matters or country borders.
- Environmental aspects will include engaging with multiple stakeholders (business, internal remediation group, corporate clients, paralegal, regulatory agencies and peers) on various legal projects including administrative actions and litigation, to ensure that business goals are met and deliverables are achieved with efficiency, appropriate level of collaboration and communication.
- General commercial aspects will include drafting and reviewing agreements, working with business clients to negotiate key terms and conditions under buy, sell, M&A, and other types of agreements.
- Both roles involve engaging the proper mix of internal and external resources to manage appropriate aspects of the legal work. This includes identifying strategies, articulating the scope of work, setting budgets, controlling costs, managing outside counsel and meeting deadlines.
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience at a law firm, corporation, or government agency with a mix of environmental law issues and commercial transactional practice demonstrating an increasing ability to analyze and resolve complex legal and/or regulatory issues.
- Ability to work in a modern collaborative environment yet maintain independent responsibility for process and outcome of assigned matters.
- Demonstrated experience in business counseling, contract drafting, and environmental regulations (such as TSCA, CERCLA, Clean Water Act or other regulations).
- Admitted to practice, active member and in good standing in a US state bar.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
The following skill sets are preferred by the business unit:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven track record of progressive leadership in developing and executing on strategies and delivering excellent results in a team atmosphere.
- Excellent decision-making skills, speed with risk balancing to own the result and driving positive outcomes.
- Ability to independently counsel and work with clients.
- Interest in or experience in giving business training in a wide range of subject matters such as antitrust, anticorruption and/or compliance.
- Budgeting, budget outlook, and/or process management training or experience.
- Experience working with clients in the chemical industry or other manufacturing industries.
- Competitive Compensation
- Comprehensive Benefits Packages
- 401(k) Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Strong Inclusion & Diversity initiatives
- Company-paid volunteer days
WE’RE CHEMOURS. A DIFFERENT KIND OF CHEMISTRY COMPANY
We are on a journey to create a more colorful, capable, and cleaner world through the power of chemistry. We’ve completed our transformation and now we’re earning our way to growth by advancing higher value chemistry.
Built upon a 200-year-old legacy and a world-class product portfolio, we bring everyday convenience to virtually everything people touch—in industries ranging from automotive, paints, and plastics to electronics, construction, energy, and telecommunications.
The “ours” in Chemours is for all of us who work here. We’re working together to improve people’s lives the world over.
Our culture is built upon our values: Customer Centered, Refreshing Simplicity, Unshakable Integrity, Safety Obsession, and Collective Entrepreneurship.
We’re honored to be named a “Great Place to Work-Certified Company” for 2018-2019 and a “2018 Top Workplace” by Delaware News Journal.
WHAT SETS US APART
Chemours has the heart and energy of a startup, while being built upon a 200-year old legacy and a world-class product portfolio. A startup with a head start. This mentality drives both our strategy and employees. We believe a thriving workforce culture is essential to our success. We’re earning our way to growth by unleashing the power of our talented, experienced, and passionate employees.
Chemours is an equal opportunity employer
Chemours is an E-Verify employer
Candidates must be able to perform all duties listed with or without accommodation
Immigration sponsorship (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status) is not currently available for this position
At Chemours, you will find sustainability in our vision, our business and your future. If you want to work on the leading edge of your field and have a desire to make a difference, join Chemours and discover what it means when we say “We Are Living Chemistry”.