As Zscaler’s first in-house Privacy Counsel you will provide guidance, support and leadership to cross-functional teams worldwide (Legal, Product Management, CISO, Marketing, People & Culture, etc.) about privacy, data protection legislation and data security issues. You will support key company privacy initiatives, including worldwide privacy and data protection compliance, negotiation of data protection agreements (DPAs) with customers, partners and vendors, co-ordinate regulatory inquiry responses, and provide guidance to our product teams to support privacy by design.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a top-rate attorney to make a high impact and contribute to a hugely successful public company that is at the cutting edge of cloud security. This role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, organizational skills, and proactivity, working within a fast-paced environment. This position will report to Zscaler’s Associate General Counsel based in San Jose, CA and will enjoy being a part of a wider collaborative, supportive, fun, and friendly global team.
- Independently review, draft, assess risk and advise on privacy and security related agreements;
- Negotiate data processing agreements (DPAs), business associate agreements (BAAs), and other similar agreements directly with customers, partners and vendors to support Zscaler’s sales, operations and compliance obligations;
- Lead negotiation calls around privacy compliance with customers, partners, and vendors, and answer questions arising during negotiations;
- Support privacy by design by analyzing the privacy impact of new Zscaler products and features;
- Drive internal projects to develop guidance for cross-functional teams and revise Zscaler’s agreements to comply with new and emerging privacy laws;
- Analyze new and current worldwide laws and regulations and advise on our privacy and security obligations to support the company’s business, sales, compliance, marketing and product teams;
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including senior management, on privacy and security matters to support operations and new initiatives to foster awareness and ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations across the company;
- Assist in the continued improvement of Zscaler’s global privacy program (e.g., policies, procedures, training programs, compliance programs, playbooks, etc.);
- Own and manage Zscaler’s internal compliance/privacy platform;
- Coordinate and manage outside counsel as necessary with respect to data protection and security matters;
- Undertake other projects as required as part of a small legal team.
- JD from an ABA accredited law school or local equivalent (e.g. LLM) or be qualified to practice law in an EU Member State;
- A minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience, with a focus on international privacy compliance and transactions;
- Substantial knowledge of privacy and data security laws and regulations, especially in the European Union (GDPR), as they relate to a U.S. based technology company;
- Fluency in English (written and oral);
- Prior experience working with large multi-national customers and channel partners;
- Must possess excellent judgment and be able to work independently and juggle multiple priorities to meet deadlines, all within in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Having a CIPP certification is a distinct advantage;
- Substantial experience in the SaaS and software industry is strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of HIPAA laws and experience with Business Associate Agreements (BAAs) strongly preferred.
- Zscaler is the world’s leading software-as-a-service security platform
- We deliver best of breed security services with unprecedented scale
- We protect 15 million users, in 3,250 organizations, across 185+ countries
- Blue Chip Customers (200 of Global 2,000 in our portfolio)
- Glassdoor rating of 4.7/5.0 + 98% CEO Approval = Exceptional place to work!