Join our team and experience Workday!
It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they’re doing. At Workday, we’re committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
Workday’s success as a market and technology leader depends on a robust global intellectual property strategy. We are seeking an outstanding Senior Patent Counsel to join our legal team in Pleasanton, CA. Reporting directly to the Associate General Counsel, Patent Asset Development and working closely with our domestic and international team, we seek a confident self-starter who has a passion for strategic patent prosecution and can share that in their work, and with others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand Workday’s strategic, technology, and competitive ecosystem and align Workday’s prosecution and portfolio development strategy accordingly
- Develop patent portfolio covering a broadening swath of product/technology areas using a strategic approach to invention identification and harvesting, collaboration with outside patent counsel on drafting and prosecuting patents, and a data-driven, long-term mindset to cultivating, managing, and further developing the portfolio.
- Work with legal, product, and engineering teams to identify and protect patentable products, services, and technologies
- Train, educate, and counsel legal, product, and engineering teams in intellectual property matters
- Investigate and evaluate third-party IP claims
- Support patent licensing and acquisition activities, as well as IP aspects of M&A, litigation, commercial licensing, employment, and open source activities
Required Skills & Experience
- J.D. Degree, membership in at least 1 state bar, and eligible to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- 7+ years of patent prosecution experience
- Experience with SaaS, web technologies, cloud technologies/platforms and/or the mobile space a bonus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to prioritize and work independently
- Outside the box thinker and problem solver; willing to explore creative strategies, delve deeply into data, and devise new processes and approaches
- Strong team player, with ability to communicate and meaningfully collaborate with attorneys, business leaders and technologists of varying backgrounds
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy, team oriented, practical environment
- Committed to his or her personal growth and development by actively seeking feedback and responding with action
- Sense of humor a must