Position Title: Senior Corporate Counsel, Employment Law
About our group:
We are directly aligned to the Global Legal Team and protect Seagate’s interests as well as govern the rights of our employees to ensure they are safe and treated fairly.
About this role:
Have a budding career as Corporate Counsel with an expertise that is rooted in Employment Law? Is your background a mix of private practice and in-house experience? Then we want to hear from you. As Senior Corporate Counsel, Employment Law, you will contribute to Seagate’s compliance posture by managing a diverse and challenging array of labor and employment matters. You will leverage your prior law firm and in-house experience to effectively partner with Human Resources and collaborate with management and internal stakeholders to create best practices on managing employee relations matters, oversee the work of outside counsel on employment-related litigation, and advise on employment-related claims and external agency cases, as well as internal employee relations investigations.
In this role you will:
- Draft and review employment-related agreements.
- Partner with the Human Resources team and provide advice on a wide variety of employment and labor matters (both domestic and international), including wage and hour compliance, disability accommodations, independent contractor classification, recruiting/hiring, discipline, involuntary terminations, leaves of absence, training programs, investigations, managing within the law, and risk assessments.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders and departments throughout Seagate to develop and maintain strong working relationships between Legal, HR, Finance, IT, Security, Internal Audit, and other functional groups, utilizing a team based approach.
- Engage with and manage outside counsel to effectively resolve threatened or outstanding employment litigation matters and to establish best practices for prevention of matters.
- Understand and be able to translate into “plain English” the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of employment-related legal developments and proactively promote compliance and mitigate risks.
- Strong business acumen, including the ability to see the “big picture” as well as the relationship of very detailed and specific legal and business issues.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (including presentations).
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to make decisions quickly but also seek guidance when appropriate.
- Adaptable and comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- A commitment to personal and professional growth and receptivity to feedback.
Your experience includes:
- Solid years of applicable law firm and in-house legal experience (at least two years of law firm experience is preferred).
- JD and admission to California Bar, Colorado Bar and/or Minnesota Bar
- Demonstrated time-management and communication skills
Location: Longmont, CO, Normandale, MN or Fremont, CA
Our Longmont product-design campus is nestled against the foothills with exceptional views of the Rocky Mountains. Here at work, you can grab breakfast and lunch in the on-site cafeteria or get an afternoon espresso, prepared by a professional barista. Our 1,500+ employees enjoy an active on-site experience from sporting activities (get in a few laps at lunch on our 1-mile walking path around campus, play ping-pong or volleyball, or stop in our 24- hour fitness center for a group or individual workout) to community service and many employee resource groups including Pride!, Women’s Leadership Network and a Young Professionals Network.
Our Normandale campus spans two suburbs, Edina and Bloomington, and serves as the Recording Head development and manufacturing arm of Seagate. Located in the heart of a bustling community, Seagate offers an on-site café, or if you prefer, you can drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. Need to grab a gift over lunch time? Shopping is abundant in the area. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, outdoor activities, tournaments and group workouts. Looking for something more laid back? Reset in one of our meditation rooms, or simply take a walk around our indoor walking path. On-site cultural festivals, celebrations and community volunteer opportunities also abound.
Our company headquarters is currently located in Cupertino, CA. In early 2020 we will will move to Fremont, CA, along with the rest of our headquarter operations. Our Fremont product-design campus is LEED-certified. Social activities are popular, including our annual BBQ, ice cream social, and Halloween and Thanksgiving activities. Wellness programs and the on-site fitness center help round out and balance your Seagate work-life experience, along with opportunities to give back to our local community.
Job Family: Professional