The VP Senior Corporate Counsel will have primary responsibility for leading the company’s legal and risk management functions including legal, contract management, cargo claims, and insurance. In addition, this position will act as corporate Secretary. This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and manages a small team.
The VP Senior Corporate Counsel will specifically be accountable for goals in the following areas:
- Stand as the primary source of in-house legal counsel for the company.
- Review, negotiate, and draft a wide variety of commercial contracts and agreements involving customers, carriers, service providers, licensing and intellectual property, software licensing, and employment.
- Provide expert legal advice to business leaders regarding contract provisions.
- Advise on legal implications of different strategies relating to initiating, maintaining, and terminating contractual relationships.
- Oversee dispute resolution and litigation efforts and strategy, including management of outside counsel as appropriate.
- Become a subject matter expert on key contracts (leases, technologies, bank agreements, major customer and carrier agreements) as well as employee equity incentive programs.
- Manage relationships with outside counsels. Monitor and review any work performed by outside counsel.
- Manage intellectual property protection for organization.
- Maintain all Company contracts. Supervise the management, maintenance, development and improvement of the company’s contract management system.
- Lead legal activities in transactional due diligence.
- Oversee material claims and Arrive’s insurance programs.
- Act as corporate Secretary for the company.
- Travel up to 20% of the time, internationally on occasion.
The successful candidate will have experience including:
- A track record of success working with respected organizations.
- JD licensed to practice in the USA.
- Expert in reviewing, drafting, negotiating terms in mission critical contracts.
- Proven ability to successfully manage external counsel.
- Strong experience in transportation, logistics and/or freight brokerage experience.
- High degree of organization and a bias for action
- A self-starter that is comfortable working under limited supervision.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and work well with change in a fast-paced environment.
- High attention to detail, and the ability to clearly explain complex issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate complex legal concepts confidently and effectively.
- Experience in protecting and defending intellectual property rights.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- A sense of urgency, hands-on approach, and a bias for action.
- Strong analytical, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Unquestioned personal integrity and work ethic.