Away is seeking a Senior Counsel, Marketing to join our Legal team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate will have experience independently providing day-to-day legal support to significant areas of a quickly growing business, such as digital and offline advertising and media initiatives, development and production of brand marketing assets, and data privacy and security projects. You will report to the General Counsel and this position will be based in Soho, New York City.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a legal advisor to teams at Away, including the Growth Marketing, Brand Marketing, Creative, Customer Experience and Digital Product teams.
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US and internationally, with an emphasis on marketing, media, business operations, customer-facing activities and commercial transactions.
- Negotiate and draft a wide variety of technology, service, and commercial agreements.
- Lead development and implementation of digital projects, including data privacy and security initiatives.
- Develop and maintain expert current knowledge on new developments and legal guidance relevant to our business.
- Develop and operationalize policies, training, templates and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Adapt existing approaches for international expansion.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Away’s commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Create and manage legal policies, processes and resources for the company as a whole.
- Counsel and educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications and legal risks.
- Develop, implement and manage a contract management strategy that provides critical business intelligence to the organization
- Iterate on our existing contracts workflow system to capture, track, improve and share key metrics.
- Maintain and update form agreements, contract management systems, and other systems.
Who You Are:
- You have a J.D. from top law school with high academic achievement.
- You have admission to one or more state bars in good standing; NY Bar admission preferred.
- You have at least 7 years of directly relevant experience, including time both at a top law firm and substantial in-house legal experience advising on marketing, creative, and technology issues with a consumer brand.
- You have significant experience with independently drafting and negotiating contracts to completion and tackling legal issues through a business lens.
- You effectively provide practical advice to non-legal team members on a variety of legal and business issues, preferably in a start-up environment.
- You thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities and driving results.
- You have the desire and capacity to learn and teach.
- You have strong business acumen, excellent legal and practical judgment, and strong problem-solving skills.
- You focus on results with a high sense of urgency and demonstrated time management skills.
- You are hard working with a “no task is too small” attitude.
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- You’re passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” for the second consecutive year, one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn’s “Top Startups,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.”