The job requires a strong corporate, generalist attorney with US expertise to be a key member of a small legal team supporting the global organization. It requires providing daily support to staff and external stakeholders by drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad array of complex-to-routine contractual and transactional matters. This requires a good knowledge of contract law and corporate transactions. In addition, this requires efficient communication skills in order to gather and analyze the amount of information necessary to provide effective, practical guidance to stakeholders in person and in other IB offices. Under general direction and with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action:
1. Advises organization’s internal and external stakeholders on a broad array of complex contractual matters arising out of the organization’s academic programs and business activities, especially in the Americas region, with primary focus on US contracts and counter-parties.
2. Assists with contract management framework for the organization’s various divisions.
3. Provides additional stakeholder focused support with matters of any kind that arise within the Legal & Compliance department, specifically assistance with US specific matters, in consultation with the Head of Legal and Compliance.
Advise the organization on a broad array of complex contractual matters involving US law or counter-parties, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts or pre-contractual materials (term sheets, RFPs) with external stakeholders and other third parties (service providers, schools, districts, governments etc.) involving significant US components
Ensure continuity of service by responding daily to questions/issues related to US contract and legal matters and provide support to staff and external stakeholders.
Assist the Head of Legal and Compliance on any US matters in a global context, including with specialized US legislation (FERPA, ADA) and being Subject Matter Expert on US legal environment
- Master of Law, J.D. or LL.B from recognized law school with specialization in contract, commercial or transactional law (e.g. financial transactions).
- 5-7 years of experience. Areas of expertise: required: contract law and negotiation; strongly desirable: international experience; procurement experience; US privacy/data security experience; US litigation experience business sector experience: any, but education and/or technology preferred.
- Law-firm or in-house experience.