University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach a hybrid class, one night weekly on site in Aberdeen, MD, with an additional online course component, in the Legal Studies program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course(s):
Business Law I (BMGT 380): (Strongly recommended for students seeking careers as CPAs, lawyers, or managers.) A conceptual and functional analysis and application of legal principles and concepts relevant to the conduct and understanding of commercial business transactions in the domestic and global environments. The aim is to evaluate sources of law, legal process, procedures, and remedies and to analyze tort, criminal, and contractual rights, obligations, liabilities, and remedies in the business environment. Topics include the legal, ethical, and social environments of business; civil and criminal law; agency; types of business organizations; and contracts and sales agreements.
Required Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Professional experience in law, business, or related field
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https: www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education is strongly preferred
- Stateside Location Specific: This position is to specifically teach a hybrid class in Aberdeen, MD with an online course component
Materials needed for submission
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation / degree evaluation from WES, AACRAO or IERF
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMGC – one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM) – is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMGC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMGC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMGC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMGC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMGC
UMGC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem – and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Business and Management program at UMGC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: https: www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/course-information.cfm?course=BMGT
Faculty Training at UMGC
We are committed to your professional success at UMGC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https: careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html .
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.