University of Maryland University College is seeking a Benefits Administrator II. Reporting to the Benefits Manager, the Benefits Administrator II is responsible for providing day-to-day administration of health, retirement, and other benefit policies, and providing support for the administration of employee leaves. Develops effective communication, ensures outreach, and increases understanding of overall benefit programs for stateside and overseas employees and retirees with limited supervision. This position will also be responsible for researching and implementing new benefit initiatives, improving existing program delivery, providing analytical and technical support, conducting gap analysis of existing processes, and seeking continuous improvement activities.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and improve communication tools to both ensure and enhance understanding of the company's benefits package.
- Deliver training, and meet personally with employees and/or retirees to address their specific questions and/or needs.
- Assists employees seeking information and guidance concerning the various benefits plans and options available, and advises employees concerning benefits policies, procedures and applicable federal, state and local legislation.
- Conduct New Hire Benefits Orientations and Open Enrollment activities and preparation.
- Develop, evaluate and/or revise cross-departmental processes to streamline activities and increase efficiency and effectiveness, partnering with appropriate parties to implement process/system improvements.
- Review internal benefits administration processes; identify gaps and implement process and/or system improvements for greater efficiencies.
- Maintain documented procedures for the area of subject matter expertise.
- Coordinate and assist with major projects, activities, and/or events as they relate to benefits.
- Coordinate and assure accurate and timely benefit processing and transfer of data to include but not limited to: enrollments, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, rollovers, Qualifying Life Events, retirements, etc.
- Conduct various audits such as supplemental retirement account contribution audits and EBD Dependent Coverage audits.
- Partner closely with HRIS on workday configuration and implementation of changes, updates, etc., as they affect benefits.
- Provide assistance as needed with ACA-related activity in the form of charts and spreadsheets.
- Communicate in person, phone and/or email to troubleshoot and reach resolution regarding both routine and non-routine benefit questions, problems and needs.
- Investigate discrepancies as necessary, and provide assistance with complex and sensitive issues to deliver an exceptional employee experience.
- Keep supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems and related information necessary for effective management.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations for each benefit program as assigned, maintenance of employee benefit files, and accuracy of related records maintained in applicable systems.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- At least three (3) years of employee health and retirement plan administration experience.
- Demonstrated experience recommending, independently leading and/or implementing a benefit program and also demonstrated experience developing benefits communications or outreach campaigns.
- Advanced Excel skills to include charts, graphs, macros, pivot tables.
- Ability to accurately interpret a variety of procedures and policies under minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively plan, set priorities, and manage several complex projects simultaneously while meeting strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of benefit plans.
- Basic knowledge of or ability to understand and interpret benefit contract language with limited supervision.
- Working knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including but not limited to: HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, ADA, SECTION 125, Workers Compensation, and ACA.
- Working knowledge of various group retirement plan arrangements and their related IRS and DOL regulations, such as 401(k), 403(b), 457(b), and pension plans.
- Ability to handle issues involving sensitivity, confidentiality and legal exposure, and process confidential information with the utmost judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation; ability to balance urgency and decisiveness with patience and compassion.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint required.
- Ability to coordinate query set-up and reporting needs with HRIS.
- The ability to work effectively with internal and external departments, vendors, and state agencies, and insurance carriers.
- Genuine interest in people-oriented work; must display a positive and caring attitude. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with employee of all levels.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- PHR / SPHR and CEBS certifications.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https: careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html .
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.