Operates a wide range of heavy equipment including tractors, cranes, tandem dump trucks, loaders, motor grades and backhoes used in the construction and maintenance of roads, sidewalks, storm drainage and other public improvements. Performs daily equipment inspection and completes an operational check list. Acts as crew leader when so designated and engages in manual labor as required. Ensures all appropriate safety procedures are followed when working near heavy, medium, or small equipment.
Note: Multiple positions are available.
- Operates equipment engaged in complex and routine maintenance and construction projects;
- Interprets construction plans;
- Performs routine operations, to include excavating, gouge cutting, leveling, demolition, stump clearing, sloping, spreading, stripping, and pushing trees and rocks from land preparatory to renovating roads, landscaping and site development;
- Drives semi-tractor trailers hauling sludge, trash or petroleum;
- Transports heavy construction equipment to designated locations;
- Prepares travel records;
- Performs equipment maintenance, such as changing oil, checking fluids, diagnosing tread wear, replacing batteries and troubleshooting problems;
- May serve as a lead worker over a crew of laborers;
- Monitors construction projects to a successful and timely completion;
- Supervises safety practice and regulation during construction projects.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of heavy construction equipment;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to perform routine equipment maintenance and make minor repairs;
- Ability to safely operate equipment;
- Ability to supervise others;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to perform tasks requiring manual dexterity.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; plus three years of experience operating motorized construction equipment and/or semi-tractor trailers, as appropriate.
Possesses a Telescopic Boom Crane Operator Certification by Crane Institute of America, National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators, National Center for Construction Education and Research, or Operating Engineers Certification Program. Ability to read and interpret engineering plans for utility locations prior to excavation.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
This position requires a Class "A" commercial driver's license (CDL) with Air Brake endorsement and a Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a medical examination to the satisfaction of the employer prior to appointment.
- Pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing is mandatory for this position.
- The appointee to this position will be required to be available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) to respond to snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies on an as needed basis.
All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Able to communicate clearly with the public. Pushing, pulling, bending, lifting, stooping, walking, climbing in and out of manholes (including removal and replacement of manholes covers that weigh up to 90 pounds with assistance). Physically and mentally able to use all applicable personal protective equipment in an outdoor environment; including hardhat, eye protection, hearing protection, safety footwear, long pants, sleeved shirt, and personal fall arrest harness. Must be physically and mentally capable of performing confined space entry operations with entry via 21" manholes with vertical descent using integral or portable ladders. Entry includes use of all applicable protective equipment and documentation. Protective equipment specific to confined space work includes hardhat, eye protection, safety toe boots, personal fall arrest harness, emergency retrieval systems, and atmospheric monitoring equipment.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
Note: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be referred until the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered.
Effective July 6, 2019, compensation plans will be increased by 2.1% (market rate adjustment.) Information here .
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.