Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking an individual to work as a survey methodologist and operations manager. You will be joining an interdisciplinary team of leading survey managers, methodologists, statisticians, and researchers on the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), the nation's paramount data source on healthcare utilization and cost. The research associate works closely with project managers and directors to implement survey designs, develop protocols, manage interviewer recruitment, train data collection staff, and analyze paradata from data collection activities, informing these tasks with a survey research methods perspective. The research associate may also be assigned responsibilities in survey operations, logistics, and quality control.
Responsible for contributing to multiple stages of projects as assigned, including:
· Design, manage and perform operational tasks to support study design, protocols, field implementation, analysis, and reporting.
· Develop analytic plans for survey paradata and a system for integrating the results into data collection stream.
· Research and questionnaire design, developing questions and specifications for computer-assisted survey instruments.
· Development of instrument testing scripts and related materials.
· Coordination with information technology staff on field software systems
· Coordination between field operational, questionnaire design, and training teams to ensure communication of ongoing tasks with all stakeholders
· Design, development and review of eLearning, web-based, and in-person training programs, including storyboarding, and lead in-person classroom training sessions for adult learners
· Development and maintenance of project task schedules.
· Mentoring research assistant staff
· A master's degree in survey methods, psychology, sociology, or a related social science field with 10 years of relevant experience.
· A PhD in the social sciences or 10 years of relevant experience in a survey organization
· Experience designing surveys, especially those that require interviews with individuals in the field and that have longitudinal designs
· Experience with technical writing and experience developing training materials for adult learners and implementing/delivering instructional programs
· Experience supervising data collection.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the healthcare system
· Experience with data science tools (e.g., SAS, R, Python, SPSS, Stata, etc.)
Candidates should excel in a team environment and have excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.