Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a full stack senior software engineer to lead the design, implementation, and support of applications developed to address our research projects across domains. As a Leader, you will continuously improve software engineering practices, ensuring the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your teams' solutions. You will encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, and teamwork. We are always looking to integrate new technologies where these can improve throughput, quality, or scalability. We are looking for someone with industry proven software engineering experience with a focus on CI/CD, etc. and who thrives in an environment of constant learning.
• Lead, manage, and grow multiple teams of project-focused software engineers.
• Lead the development of technical requirements, design, architecture, and development within a CI/CD environment supported by agile methodologies and automated test and deployment.
• As a lead, you will work with research staff and project directors to determine needs and suggest innovative approaches.
• Your teams will be responsible for building scalable, secure, maintainable solutions on AWS or other cloud providers, as well as internal platforms.
• Provide technology teams with oversight in design, development, and support, while making significant contributions in tasks of increasing complexity.
• Lead and mentor a technical community of software and data engineers supporting multiple projects. Take an active role in continuous improvement of software development tools, methodologies, and policies.
• Prepare work estimates and manage task assignments, assist in technical planning and assessment of technical feasibility of solutions
• Participate in recruitment and staffing for technologies spanning machine learning, natural language processing, geospatial analysis, data warehousing, involving complex data pipelines and business processes.
• Lead development using Agile, DevOps, AWS, Docker, Microservices, NodeJS, Java, Spring, Python, and Spark.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• At least 7 years experience managing software development teams.
• At least 5 years experience with programming languages such as Java, C++/C#, or Python and open source technologies such as Apache and Hadoop.
• At least 5 years of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Product or project management experience.
• Leadership skills.
• Proven track record of bottom-up leadership, including vision setting, keeping teams motivated, and a bias for action.
• Experience with Spring Boot or Spring, creating user interfaces using Angular2 or React Java APIs of 'big data' technologies such as Elasticsearch, Redis, and components of the Hadoop eco-system.
• Strong project management experience working on large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements.
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills.
Candidates should have sound understanding of security required by the Federal government (e.g. FISMA, Privacy Act). The ability to influence internal and external stakeholders is essential. The ideal candidate will have experience working on complex, multi-tiered applications assembled from micro-services. Candidates should have excellent written and oral communication skills; strong collaboration and organizational skills; able to influence at management level; the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; detail-oriented and work well in a team environment.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.