The foundation for success of the Defense Commissary Agency mission is our people. It is DeCA's goal to have a workforce that is comprised of our nation's diverse cultures and backgrounds. DeCA operates a worldwide commissary system that provides quality grocery products to active duty military personnel and retirees, members of the Reserve and National Guard, and their families, as well as current DeCA employees. The agency employs over 15,000 people and its annual sales exceed $4 billion.
Learn more about this agency
- Assist journeyman meat cutters by performing the simpler tasks when processing beef, pork, veal, and lamb into retail and ready to eat cuts for sale to patrons.
- Tray, wrap, weigh, and price cuts using automatic or manual wrapping machines.
- Ensure correct prices by referencing price lists.
- Replenish stock in display cases and rotates product to ensure wholesomeness.
- Use, clean, maintain, and sharpens a variety of hand tools and power equipment.
- Clean and sanitize work area to maintain required standards of cleanliness and sanitation.
Occasional travel – Occasionally
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must apply by 11:59 EST on the closing date of vacancy
- Work Schedule: Part Time 64 hours bi-weekly
- Tour of Duty: Irregular Schedule including nights, weekends and holidays
- Permanent change of Station (PCS) Cost: ARE NOT Authorized
- Position sensitivity: Non-Sensitive
- Security Requirements: Not Applicable
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel: Occasionally
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Drug Testing: Not Required
- Physical Requirement: Walks and stands continuously while working. Frequently lifts, pushes, and pulls pieces and bulk boxes of meat weighing 50 to 100 pounds.
- Obligated Position: No
- Selective Service Requirement: All male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the selective service system. Please visit http: www.sss.gov for more information.
- Physical Requirement: Work in areas where the temperature ranges from minus 10 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Per OPM Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, http: www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.asp , the applicant's experience, education and training must show enough knowledge, skills and abilities to demonstrate the potential to successfully perform the duties of the position. Under this system, how applicants gained their skill and knowledge or the length of time they have spent in a line of work are not as important as the fact that they have the required ability or potential to do the job.
This job has one critical element, called the screen-out element (SOE). Applicants who clearly fail to meet the lowest acceptable requirements in the SOE will be related ineligible without further review of their application.
Volunteer Experience: Your Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For qualifications determinations your resume must contain your name, a description of your duties, and the beginning and ending dates (month/year) for each position. Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
Examples of qualifying experience include:
- Working in the retail meat department traying, wrapping and weighing meat for sale to patrons.
- Cutting, trimming and boning meat.
- Using hand tools and operating powered meat cutting equipment.
Time after competitive appointment: Candidates applying under merit promotion must have completed three months of civilian service after a competitive appointment by the closing date of the announcement. (5 CFR 330.501)
Education may not be substituted for experience.
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants.
Re-employed Annuitant: A former Federal employee who has retired under either the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is an Annuitant. An annuitant cannot be hired (i.e. re-employed) unless the vacant position meets the criteria in the Department of Defense (DOD) policy on employment of annuitants issued December 10, 2008. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at http: www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf .
This position Does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant.
- Individuals with Financial Difficulty: https: hru.gov/Studio_Recruitment/tools/Mythbuster_on_Federal_Hiring_Policies.pdf
- Deliberate attempts to falsify your application information, such as copying portions of this job announcement into your resume, may result in you being removed from consideration for this position.
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a Two Year probationary period.
- Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement upon its closing.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following job elements:
- Work Practices.
- Technical Practices.
- Interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
- Power Tool Use and Maintenance.
- Hand Tool Use and Maintenance.
- Dexterity and Safety.
REVIEW OF APPLICATION DOCUMENTS (FOR ALL APPLICANTS):
To determine if you meet the qualifications, requirements and quality of experience required for this position, we review your resume, supporting documents and responses to the questionnaire. The score you receive is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required. Please follow all instructions carefully as errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Applicants must choose ALL APPLICABLE ELIGIBILITIES in order to receive consideration for this announcement. Failure to choose any eligibility or select the wrong eligibility will result in non-consideration for this position. If you are unsure as to your eligibility, please select ALL Eligibilities.
Understanding Eligibilities and Qualifications as Part of the Application Process:
Military Spouse Preference: If you are entitled to military spouse preference, in order to receive this preference you must choose the spousal eligibility in your application package referencing MSP Military Spouse Preference. Your preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are claiming military spouse preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. See the Required Documents section for information regarding documents you must submit to apply for this position and to claim your Military Spouse Preference (MSP)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Application packages should include the following documents:
- Questionnaire: Required
- Transcripts: Not Required
- Resume: Required
For qualifications determinations your resume must contain the following:
- Applicant's full legal name and contact information.
- Description of your duties
- Number of hours worked per week
- Beginning and ending dates (month/year) for each position
To ensure full consideration of your experience and education we encourage you to use the USAJOBS resume builder to prepare your resume or to guide you in preparing your resume. See https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/ for more information.
If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, you must submit supporting documents with your application package. These documents must provide acceptable documentation to verify the type of preference claimed (i.e. 5-point, 10-point, etc.) and the character of the service (i.e. Honorable Discharge). A copy of your DD214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," showing your Character of Service is required when claiming Veterans' Preference. The member 4 copy of your DD214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," is preferable. If unable to verify Character of Service, you will not receive veteran's preference.
If claiming 10-point preference, you will need to submit a Standard Form 15, "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference," http: www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf .
If claiming 10 point preference, you will need to submit a Veteran Disability (VA) Letter. If you need assistance in obtaining a VA Letter please visit https: www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage .
If you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within the next 120 days, you must submit written documentation from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days from the date the written documentation is signed. If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs:
This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position:
- Be rated well-qualified for the position. Well qualified is defined as possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds the positions minimum qualifications.
- Submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. You must Provide a copy of the agency notice, Current SF50, Current Performance rating.
For more information please visit https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
Military Spouse Preference (MSP):
Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist: https: www.dcpas.osd.mil/Content/documents/EC/PPP_Self_CertificationChecklist.pdf
Claiming Military Spouse Preference. In addition to the documents required by the vacancy announcement, you are required to submit documents that provide acceptable information to verify:
- Reside within the commuting area of your sponsor's permanent duty station.
- Proof of marriage to the active duty sponsor.
- Proof of military member's active duty status.
Prior Federal Service:
Additional documents maybe required if you held or currently hold a federal position. (e.g., Resignation SF50 LWOP, highest grade held, overseas appointments, etc.).
Employees Serviced by DLA:
Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at the time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
DeCA employees working overseas MUST submit copies of your current SF-50, showing your current tenure, grade and salary.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.