The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing world-class public safety with honor, courage, and a dedication to service. The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office is the largest Sheriff's Office in Virginia with over 600 professional men and women. We serve a population of over 1.1 million citizens in one of the most diverse counties in the nation. We are looking for medical professionals who want to contribute to the outstanding quality of life that Fairfax citizens currently enjoy. As part of a care team, renders care to clients in the Adult Detention Center; performs physical examinations, laboratory work and diagnostic procedures; develops treatment plans, including prescribing medications; provides health education; and performs related work as required.
- Provides services in consultation and collaboration with a licensed patient care team physician as part of a patient care team.
- Performs physical examinations and records findings in clients' records;
- Performs orders and interprets laboratory work and diagnostic procedures;
- Assesses state of clients' health by obtaining medical, psychological and social histories;
- Confers with physicians on abnormal results requiring physician's intervention;
- Develops treatment plans, including prescribing medications, reviewing plans with clients to assess level of understanding;
- Monitors treatments as required;
- Refers clients to other health care providers;
- Provides health education, counseling and guidance to clients and families;
- Develops health education materials;
- Develops and presents various training and orientation programs for nursing personnel, health care providers and other agency staff members.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of public health nurse practitioner/medical theory and practice;
- Knowledge of various laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures;
- Knowledge of effects of prescribed medications and when their usage is indicated;
- Ability to obtain histories and perform physical examinations, laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures;
- Ability to assess medical records and results of tests;
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, medical professionals, health care professionals and citizens.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in nursing; plus a master's degree in nursing as a clinical nurse practitioner. Depending upon area of assignment, may require one year of experience as a certified nurse practitioner.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Licensed to Practice as a Nurse Practitioner in the state of Virginia
- Has obtained national certification as a nurse practitioner
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background and/or credit and public safety background check to the satisfaction of the employer. Appointee must have a pre-employment physical and TB test.
Emergency Room or Critical Care Nursing experience. Experience in Corrections.
Duties are performed in a correctional facility medical environment. Maintain physical requirements needed to perform duties. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.